Crested Cream legbar crosses

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
I'd like to cross my cream legbar rooster to another breed. I'd like the offspring to be good duel purpose breed, auto sexing at hatch. And be attractive. I was thinking maybe lavender orpington. Because I'd like to have some lavender birds. But I need help with the genetics, would the offspring still be auto sexing

When crossed with a lavender Orpington you wouldn't get autosexing or lavender chicks.
There isn't any cross that would give you first generation lavender chicks when using a CL.
The only way you would be able to get autosexing chicks is if you crossed your CL with another autosexing breed.
For a dual purpose cross you could cross to a Bielefelder. That would give you auto sexing chicks.

When crossed with a lavender Orpington you wouldn't get autosexing or lavender chicks.
There isn't any cross that would give you first generation lavender chicks when using a CL.
The only way you would be able to get autosexing chicks is if you crossed your CL with another autosexing breed.
For a dual purpose cross you could cross to a Bielefelder. That would give you auto sexing chicks.
Is there a breed I could cross back and get second generation lavender chicks?

You could cross your CL to a lavender Orpington then cross those offspring back to lavender Orpington and around 50% of those offspring would be lavender.
Or cross your first cross chicks together and get around 25% lavender chicks.
If you cross the first cross chicks back to the CL you won't get any lavender.
CL are e+ wildtype and orpingtons are E extended black so you'll be mixing those and that will impact the outcome of solid lavender or with leakage or if crossed right you could end up with Isabel.
You'll also have the barring gene in play so depending on the crosses you can end up with barring or no barring.

Go here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...uckoo-barred-project-and-genetic-dis.1153068/
This will take you back to the beginning of creating the birds also known by some as "opal" legbars.
The final product is an autosexing bird with lavender but not a solid lavender bird.
You need the e+ pattern to get the auto sexing.
You could go a different route using a lavender Orpington and get the same pattern in the end but a more meaty bird then the "opals".
If interested I can explain how you could get there.

Back
Top Bottom