Critters?

Mother Hen to 6

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Kentucky
So we are planning out the pen for the chickens and ducks. I have lived here for 6 years and have yet to ever see a Raccoons,skunks or opossums. I have seen rats and deer and some rat snakes but only 2. My neighbor behind me has chickens so maybe all the critters stay over there but I know once we get them outside we will have these things. What’s the best way to make sure my babies are safe? At night they will be put in part of the barn where the run will come off the side of it. Would locking them up at night be best?

The best bet is to always lock them in a secure structure at night. Just because you don't see a predator, doesn't meant they aren't out there. Like I've never seen a bear on our lot, but my neighbor immediately behind me had it visiting their yard repeatedly.

I have all kinds of predators, hardly ever see most. Then when I started making the enclosure I started seeing raccoons. Two babies playing and making noise right in the tree couple weeks ago. I know there are oppossums, skunks, fox, coyotes and Hawks for sure. I have 4 rabbits out there for a year now and for a year I've wortied about them. My dogs are a strong presence, so I'm hoping that they all continue to stay away. It was my dog that alerted me to the first raccoon in the tree. He didn't let up until I went out there to check it out. He was heavily praised. I have several neighbors with chickens. Only one had an issue with a Cooper's hawk that got into the coop. After they put up the netting, no more issues. I have definitely saw raccoons and skunks down that way.

Mine will be locked up--there is no other option--if I ever want to get sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom