Crockpot Custard?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone have a good recipe for using a crockpot to make baked custard -- either directly in the pot or in a dish inside the pot -- that makes a generous batch for a holiday family meal dessert?

All the custard recipes -- traditional or crockpot -- that I can find online are for little, 4-serving batches and, having never done custard, I'm not comfortable trying to scale them.

My crockpot is the 6(7?)-quart, oval kind and I am pretty sure I've got several dishes I could fit into it.

Two critical things about custard are getting it up to temp to thicken but not over temp or it will separate out like a jam. Have a good thermometer. The other important factor is go slow when tempering the eggs or they will cook. Whisk well as you pour small amount at a time. You'll know when straining how well you did.

That's all I got for pointers. Try a small batch to get the knack of it and think on any adjustments. I like more vanilla.

Two critical things about custard are getting it up to temp to thicken but not over temp or it will separate out like a jam. Have a good thermometer. The other important factor is go slow when tempering the eggs or they will cook. Whisk well as you pour small amount at a time. You'll know when straining how well you did.

That's all I got for pointers. Try a small batch to get the knack of it and think on any adjustments. I like more vanilla.

I'm not looking for liquid custard sauce or the way you make it for egg nog. I'm looking for the baked kind that sets up firm in the dish it's baked in.

I'm not looking for liquid custard sauce or the way you make it for egg nog. I'm looking for the baked kind that sets up firm in the dish it's baked in.
My mom used to make it in ramekins in the oven. A few would have caramelized sugar on the bottom to be more Flan style...those were the best. Sorry, I can't be of real help for your endeavor. I could check my cookbooks.

My mom used to make it in ramekins in the oven. A few would have caramelized sugar on the bottom to be more Flan style...those were the best. Sorry, I can't be of real help for your endeavor. I could check my cookbooks.

I don't have a dozen ramekins and my oven will be tied up so I was hoping someone would have a bulk batch. :D

Closest thing I have. This is 4-6 servings but can be doubled or maybe quadrupled in your case? I guess crockpots were a lot smaller back then.
pudding.png

?? 3 beaten eggs??
That sounds like my mom's recipe that called for eggs milk sugar nutmeg and she'd put in rice and raisins Id bake in oven in casserole dish with pan of water too.

Back
Top Bottom