Crooked beak and splayed(?) legs

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
My GLW hen hatched 11 chicks about 2 months ago, about a month ago 2 died from a predator (I'm not sure what took them they just disappeared and the dog when spastic like she does when something is bothering the flock) so he has 9 left and today i was doing a check up on all of them and i noticed ones beak is going to the left by about 5 millimetres (She is the smallest of all the chicks so its quite large for her size), i'm not sure whats caused it but i've only just noticed it and it seems to be making it hard for her to eat as her beak doesn't go straight down like what it should, does anyone know what this or if there anything i can do to help her? The second thing is whilst checking up on them all i noticed one was walking as if it had splayed legs in a newly hatched chick, it seems to be struggling to walk and whenever it stops moving it always sits down. When they first hatched one did have splayed legs, but i know it wasn't this one as i had it marked. Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?

The one has a cross beak. Generally there's nothing you can do. Some do fine, others struggle to eat. It all depends on the severity, and which is affected, top or bottom.

The other could be a vitamin deficiency or the starts of Mareks. You could try some poultry vitamins to see if it helps.

Crossbeak at birth is a birth defect, but later in life is an accident. If you decide to let it live (it’s a commitment), wet its feed. I began fermenting feed for everyone so my cb could eat whenever she was hungry. The wet food had the added benefit of ensuring she got water, and of course all of the fermentation benefits.
Try splinting the other’s legs. Something was definitely wrong with her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom