Crookneck/Wryneck

aaoddancer14

Chirping
5 Years
May 25, 2015
I just found out that my favorite chicken has Crook/Wry Neck. I keep getting mixed advice from people, some say that there's nothing you can do and some say that they've been able to get their chicken back to 100%. Does anyone know what to do or give a chicken for this? I've heard of giving them vitamin b, but in what form? How do you get them to eat or drink it? Thanks!

Although I've heard of a couple cases where the bird doesn't recover, I witnessed one of my bantams come back to normal. Since wry neck is a vitamin E deficiency, I would recommend giving her either straight E from a capsule, Rooster Booster electrolytes and vitamins mix, Nutri-drench, or even just molasses; whatever you have on hand.
smile.png
I would absolutely try to help her! Is she having difficulty eating/drinking?

Here's my experience in pictures:
The first day I noticed Dakota's condition.

I'm thinking this was a few days after beginning treatment.

And, a few days before she was killed by a coon at about 17-18 weeks of age. I miss her!

~Alex

Thank you! Yes, she was having a hard time eating and drinking yesterday but today she figured out how to drink, which was what I was mainly concerned about. I saw her eat a little, but not a lot. I'm hoping that will change. Dakota was such a cutie! I'm sorry for your loss.

Although I've heard of a couple cases where the bird doesn't recover, I witnessed one of my bantams come back to normal. Since wry neck is a vitamin E deficiency, I would recommend giving her either straight E from a capsule, Rooster Booster electrolytes and vitamins mix, Nutri-drench, or even just molasses; whatever you have on hand.
smile.png
I would absolutely try to help her! Is she having difficulty eating/drinking?

Here's my experience in pictures:
The first day I noticed Dakota's condition.

I'm thinking this was a few days after beginning treatment.

And, a few days before she was killed by a coon at about 17-18 weeks of age. I miss her!

~Alex
i have read poly vi sol helps with this wry neck how mush do i give a 1 week old chick?

I just found out that my favorite chicken has Crook/Wry Neck.  I keep getting mixed advice from people, some say that there's nothing you can do and some say that they've been able to get their chicken back to 100%.  Does anyone know what to do or give a chicken for this?  I've heard of giving them vitamin b, but in what form?  How do you get them to eat or drink it?  Thanks!

Wry neck is only a symptom, and can be caused by many different things, such as head injury, vitamin E deficiency, but any other diseases that can cause brain inflammation or irritation can cause wry neck. Most people try the vitamins and selenium for a couple of weeks if possible. Wrapping the chicken in a towel 2-3 times a day, and feeding a mash of chick feed, raw or cooked egg, a small amount of plain yogurt, and water, can give them a lot of nutrition. Then leaving them in a crate with food and water, near the other chickens, can keep them safe. Hopefully this will improve.

Wry neck is only a symptom, and can be caused by many different things, such as head injury, vitamin E deficiency, but any other diseases that can cause brain inflammation or irritation can cause wry neck. Most people try the vitamins and selenium for a couple of weeks if possible. Wrapping the chicken in a towel 2-3 times a day, and feeding a mash of chick feed, raw or cooked egg, a small amount of plain yogurt, and water, can give them a lot of nutrition. Then leaving them in a crate with food and water, near the other chickens, can keep them safe. Hopefully this will improve.
how much vitiamin E do i give a small 1 week old chick she was born with this neck problem. i started giving her poly vi sol yesterday 2 drops once a day. she hatched out fine but it took her 2 days to be able to stand up she seems to be eating and drinking she feels as heavy as the other chicks not sure if i should give her the E ?

I have a bantam rooster that hatched unable to stand because his head was tipped over on his back. I had read that chicks that hatch this way could be easily cured with vit E/selenium and polyvisol without iron. He did eventually recover but I will be honest with you it took several weeks. Here's what meds I gave him:
2 drops of polyvisol twice a day (reduced to one drop twice a day once I saw improvement)
1 400iu vitamin E caplet twice a day
1/2 50mcg tablet of selenium once a day (crushed on food)
1/2 B complex vitamin crushed on food once a day

I did not add the vit B until he was about week and 1/2 old and I hadn't seen much improvement. It was after adding the B complex that he made a turn for the better.

Holding a tiny little Bantam to get meds in was difficult so I found that putting them on his fav treat (1/4 cucumber) was easier on both of us and he gobbled them right down.

here is Happy Gilmore today. I still give him vitamins once a week as we have had several day long relapses. Once I began the once per week treatment he has not relapsed.

Good luck...it's a frustrating thing to cure sometimes but it is very doable!

Thank you! Yes, she was having a hard time eating and drinking yesterday but today she figured out how to drink, which was what I was mainly concerned about. I saw her eat a little, but not a lot. I'm hoping that will change. Dakota was such a cutie! I'm sorry for your loss.
You're welcome! Glad to hear there's some improvement! (from your post below)
clap.gif

Thank you so much, she was my baby.
smile.png

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom