Crop bra not working. Anything else to do for extremely pendulous crop?

Since the crop is moving in a fashion, I would suggest the Epsom salts crop flush. If there are yeast spores still in residence, the Magnesium sulfate will kill those. It requires tube feeding, which is very easy with the instructions I will give you. Ask your vet to sell you a feeding kit for a small animal, about $5. Then I will instruct you on the procedure once you have it.
Thanks. I ordered the set on Amazon and it should arrive on Friday.

Should I set her up in a dog crate when I do the flush to control what foods she has access to?
The flush takes three days and will scour her from beak to butt. After she's cleaned out, her crop should shrink down to normal size in a couple weeks. But a crop bra at night would be a good idea until it shrinks.
I hope so. She's still a young hen, so I was hoping the pendulous crop wouldn't be permenant.

I am no expert on crop issues. Many crop problems are a result of chronic overeating, getting long strands of grass stuck, and conditions inside the abdomen that put pressure on the digestive organs.
I believe the initial culprit was nest box material I purchased (and since removed). I had several girls develop crop issues, but they've all been cleared up except this one, who definitely had the worst impaction to begin with.
Make sure that you are applying the crop bra properly in the right place.
This is part of what I'm struggling with. I've read lots of articles here and on blogs, as well as videos, and I just can't seem to get a crop bra that stays on, provides support/lift, and doesn't seem so tight I'm worried about cutting off circulation. Hopefully if I can get the initial size of her crop down, it'll be easier to fit a bra to her.

When you get the feeding tube kit, here are instructions to tube.

The solution is one teaspoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in one-half cup warm water 2xday for three consecutive days. Tube all of the solution in. Provide food and water as usual in between. Space the treatments out by six to eight hours.

I find it easiest to use a table or work bench and to sit the chicken on this stable surface. To tube, wrap your hen in a towel to secure wings and feet. While holding the chicken in your left arm, reach around with your left hand to pry open the beak. Following the diagram below, insert the tubing into the right side of the beak aiming for the esophagus on the right side of the throat by going just slightly under the side of the tongue. Only four inches of the tubing will need to go into the crop. Make a mark on the tube at that level so you'll know when you've gone far enough.

If the chicken coughs or gags, it means you've gotten the tube into the wrong hole. Back out and try again. If you're in the esophagus, the chicken will not cough. It may help to have a helper, but most of us do this alone just fine.

The first time will be awkward, but you'll quickly find out how simple and easy it really is. Tubing is a very quick and easy, safe way to get emergency food and fluids into a sick hen. The chicken will find it comforting as the crop fills. She may buck at some point. Let her settle back down and then continue.

If the tubing is too long and you fine it awkward to get the syringe into the orifice, you can cut the bottom end off so the tubing is around nine inches long. That's the length I find easiest to handle alone.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Last edited:
My EE hen, Bertha, would develop crop stasis each spring as new grass would sprout. I'd have her wear a crop bib (I like the term better than bra!) 24 hrs/day for several days with close monitoring. Eventually, she'd get to equilibrium and I'd put the bib away until the next year. I found through many versions that a crop bib with fabric attached to an elastic loop that goes over the head, fitting comfortably around the neck and under the crop, with a back fastener that snaps--not a tie--was the best configuration to be secure and not have dangling ties that can get caught. I think that style bib was on Etsy.

My EE hen, Bertha, would develop crop stasis each spring as new grass would sprout. I'd have her wear a crop bib (I like the term better than bra!) 24 hrs/day for several days with close monitoring. Eventually, she'd get to equilibrium and I'd put the bib away until the next year. I found through many versions that a crop bib with fabric attached to an elastic loop that goes over the head, fitting comfortably around the neck and under the crop, with a back fastener that snaps--not a tie--was the best configuration to be secure and not have dangling ties that can get caught. I think that style bib was on Etsy.
How much pressure does your bib put on the neck? Mine seems to put a lot of pressure on. It’s possible it’s too small, but I think going bigger won’t provide enough support.

I’ve tried 3 different crop bras, and none seem to provide the amount of lift she requires. She is good at taking them off, too.

I have a stubborn pendulous crop chicken who's also a regular Houdini with her crop bras. I layer them, put one bra on her, then a second on top of it. She hasn't yet figured out how to undue both when layered like that. Something to try.

The first bra has a loop that goes around the neck and also a strap that goes under the wings and I attached a snap to it (as she could undo the Velcro it came with).

The second bra has two straps that go under the legs, through a ring and then velcroed at the back. Crazy K farm hook and loop. It's put on with maximum compression option..

When you get the feeding tube kit, here are instructions to tube.

The solution is one teaspoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in one-half cup warm water 2xday for three consecutive days. Tube all of the solution in. Provide food and water as usual in between. Space the treatments out by six to eight hours.

I find it easiest to use a table or work bench and to sit the chicken on this stable surface. To tube, wrap your hen in a towel to secure wings and feet. While holding the chicken in your left arm, reach around with your left hand to pry open the beak. Following the diagram below, insert the tubing into the right side of the beak aiming for the esophagus on the right side of the throat by going just slightly under the side of the tongue. Only four inches of the tubing will need to go into the crop. Make a mark on the tube at that level so you'll know when you've gone far enough.

If the chicken coughs or gags, it means you've gotten the tube into the wrong hole. Back out and try again. If you're in the esophagus, the chicken will not cough. It may help to have a helper, but most of us do this alone just fine.

The first time will be awkward, but you'll quickly find out how simple and easy it really is. Tubing is a very quick and easy, safe way to get emergency food and fluids into a sick hen. The chicken will find it comforting as the crop fills. She may buck at some point. Let her settle back down and then continue.

If the tubing is too long and you fine it awkward to get the syringe into the orifice, you can cut the bottom end off so the tubing is around nine inches long. That's the length I find easiest to handle alone.
View attachment 3783968
Thank you. We gave Molé her first dose of the Epsom salt flush this evening. Would you recommend I keep her isolated in order to monitor her as well as control what she eats?

I have a stubborn pendulous crop chicken who's also a regular Houdini with her crop bras. I layer them, put one bra on her, then a second on top of it. She hasn't yet figured out how to undue both when layered like that. Something to try.

The first bra has a loop that goes around the neck and also a strap that goes under the wings and I attached a snap to it (as she could undo the Velcro it came with).

The second bra has two straps that go under the legs, through a ring and then velcroed at the back. Crazy K farm hook and loop. It's put on with maximum compression option..
I will give this a try. Thanks!

Chickens endure treatments and improve better when left with their flock. However, it's your call. If you would feel better keeping her crated to observe her and to make it easier to do these treatments, then by all means do it. She may have regular food and water between flushes. Let her drink and eat what she feels like.

Back
Top Bottom