Crop Bra - Useful info for sour crop, distended crop, slow crop

Quillgirl

Songster
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Metro Atlanta
I have an australorp that has had a chronic problem with sour crop, which resulted in a pendulous crop/slow crop due to it being stretched out. Then we get more sour crop because it moves fluid so poorly. I've been at my wits end with her, could see that the large crop bothered her and her health was at jeapordy. I decided to construct and try a crop bra after reading a few things about its use in other birds, like parrots. I have to say that today, at day 3 using one, it is working nicely! Her crop is nearly normal and does not seem as flacid by at least half. I'm going to give it another two days or so, but I think this looks promising for those who have the same problem with birds. Here's how I made mine:

I took a man's support sock (the black stretchy ones full of elastic) and cut the foot off so that I had a tube. Folded in half lengthwise, I cut a sliver of material from one crease-fold beginning about 1.5" away from where the foot was cut off and about 4" long. (similar to cutting a thin heart out of a folded piece of paper.) This leaves a 1.5" round "collar" at the foot end and a belt at the other end of the sock (where it would fit around your calf.) Now lay the sock flat so that the sliver you cut is open into an oval. This is where wings will fit through, The collar at foot-end will fit around the bird's neck, the calf-end will fit around the bird's waist under the wings like a belt, and the material left intact will fit over the bird's crop and abdomen to support the crop. If you have a large bird like mine, you'll have to cut the calf-end belt in the middle and sew an extra strip of material in to fit the hen so it's snug but not too tight around the waist. (I cut a strip from the discarded foot.) You put the finished bra on like a shirt: calf-end belt first over head and wings making sure open oval is on top, gently pull wings through the hole so mesh material is on abdomen/crop and belt is situated around waist near hips, then finally pulling neck collar over head last and settle close to shoulders under neck feathers. Just make sure it's not to tight anywhere and the bird can eat and drink normally, and walk. You want to make sure the sock material over crop is wide enough not to bunch or slide to the side, and that it provides good coverage/support of the bloated crop. (Try not to cut the sliver too large so that the oval is not too big when you open it.)

I used a black support sock so that it blended with her feathers and the other birds would ignore it. She didn't like it much and keeps picking/scratching at it, so you'll have to keep an eye on your bird to make sure they don't get claws snagged in the bra. Just a few days of support seems to give the crop some time to drain properly and shrink. I haven't changed her diet or ACV water. It is just the bra that seems to be working!

Last edited:
I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. I guess you have to imagine if I pulled the tube of sock over her body and there was an oval opening cut on top so her wings would fit through but the sock would cover her chest area to her hips, and her head and neck stick through the end where the foot was cut away....

Make sense?

Not my idea to use a bra for large crop, but maybe using the support sock to construct a bra was my "invention" I'd only seen instructions using vet tape and that seems to slide around and bunch too much. This is larger, more supportive, and more snug.

I have an australorp that has had a chronic problem with sour crop, which resulted in a pendulous crop/slow crop due to it being stretched out. Then we get more sour crop because it moves fluid so poorly. I've been at my wits end with her, could see that the large crop bothered her and her health was at jeapordy. I decided to construct and try a crop bra after reading a few things about its use in other birds, like parrots. I have to say that today, at day 3 using one, it is working nicely! Her crop is nearly normal and does not seem as flacid by at least half. I'm going to give it another two days or so, but I think this looks promising for those who have the same problem with birds. Here's how I made mine:

I took a man's support sock (the black stretchy ones full of elastic) and cut the foot off so that I had a tube. Folded in half lengthwise, I cut a sliver of material from one crease-fold beginning about 1.5" away from where the foot was cut off and about 4" long. (similar to cutting a thin heart out of a folded piece of paper.) This leaves a 1.5" round "collar" at the foot end and a belt at the other end of the sock (where it would fit around your calf.) Now lay the sock flat so that the sliver you cut is open into an oval. This is where wings will fit through, The collar at foot-end will fit around the bird's neck, the calf-end will fit around the bird's waist under the wings like a belt, and the material left intact will fit over the bird's crop and abdomen to support the crop. If you have a large bird like mine, you'll have to cut the calf-end belt in the middle and sew an extra strip of material in to fit the hen so it's snug but not too tight around the waist. (I cut a strip from the discarded foot.) You put the finished bra on like a shirt: calf-end belt first over head and wings making sure open oval is on top, gently pull wings through the hole so mesh material is on abdomen/crop and belt is situated around waist near hips, then finally pulling neck collar over head last and settle close to shoulders under neck feathers. Just make sure it's not to tight anywhere and the bird can eat and drink normally, and walk. You want to make sure the sock material over crop is wide enough not to bunch or slide to the side, and that it provides good coverage/support of the bloated crop. (Try not to cut the sliver too large so that the oval is not too big when you open it.)

I used a black support sock so that it blended with her feathers and the other birds would ignore it. She didn't like it much and keeps picking/scratching at it, so you'll have to keep an eye on your bird to make sure they don't get claws snagged in the bra. Just a few days of support seems to give the crop some time to drain properly and shrink. I haven't changed her diet or ACV water. It is just the bra that seems to be working!
HI Quill girl do you have a picture of this that perhaps you sent in the past - I am desperately trying to make one of these for my little 4 month old pullet. If you do, could I see it please? thank you!

I dug out an old used one and hope it makes sense. I modified it to lace up in the back using a shoestring rather than the sewn velcro because it was easier at the time. Not very pretty but functional and more adjustable as the sock stretched over time. Just imagine a ladies corset and you get the idea. The sock needs to be long enough to go below the crop, so don't cut it off too close. Something else I found on this site that worked really well for a bird with a large yeasty crop was the vaginal cream for yeast infection found over the counter (monistat.) I know it sounds very weird, but it totally worked. I put about a 1/4 teaspoon into a teaspoon of yogurt and pushed it into the beak with a large medicine syringe. The crop was yeast-free in about 2 days of doing this every morning. I continued for 3 days. My hubby is a physician and he said (at least in humans) it would not be dangerous to ingest the cream, other than worry about allergic reactions.

These are two photos of the most recent crop support I've used. You can see the smallest part is where the neck fits through and the open section has shoe laces as corset strings that go around the back and under the wings.

Last edited:
They don't like the bra. They pick at them and worry the edges until they fray, but eventually they get used to them. My Aussie wore hers for weeks at a time. Every time I removed it for very long she got sour crop again... Oh well. Others have not had to wear them forever. Just until they regained muscle tension.

Kim

Last edited:
They don't like the bra. They pick at them and worry the edges until they fray, but eventually they get used to them. My Aussie wore hers for weeks at a time. Every time I removed it for very long she got sour crop again... Oh well. Others have not had to wear them forever. Just until they regained muscle tension.

Kim
OK this is helpful. she has shoved it further up her body but it still covers the crop so I'm hopeful it will work for her. I am concerned that at her age she will be forever doomed to need one.
Thanks again for the picture - hens in a corset eh whatever next!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom