Crop Feeding Sick Hen, Losing Wt, Slow Crop, Liquid from Beak, Wiggling Neck

Incredible record keeping of your sweet Cha Cha’s health and care. Kudos for being so thorough!

I really hope I’m wrong in my assessment, but my experience with a hen diagnosed with EYP and had almost identical poop actually turned out to be ovarian cancer. It created a blockage in her intestines which caused digestive issues similar to what you’re experiencing. However, once our girl stopped laying (she was only 8 months old), she passed less than a month later. So Cha Cha has already exceeded that and, fingers crossed, will make a full recovery. I wish you & your girl all the best :fl:hugs
I agree this is also a possibility.

@PostageStampRanch , just so you know you are not alone - I have a special needs EE that I have either been providing supportive care for, or prolonging the suffering of for 6 months now. Regardless of the hard-and-fast rules I have made for my flock maintenance, I can't help but have the "what if" argument in my head. Some days I am so encouraged by her energy level and her poop consistency. Some days (today), I am completely discouraged and not sure I am doing her any favors. She still eats her scrambled egg, takes her vitamins like a champ, and gets herself to the waterer, but her energy level is really low and her poops are back to paste again. Sigh.

@PostageStampRanch , just so you know you are not alone - I have a special needs EE that I have either been providing supportive care for, or prolonging the suffering of for 6 months now. Regardless of the hard-and-fast rules I have made for my flock maintenance, I can't help but have the "what if" argument in my head. Some days I am so encouraged by her energy level and her poop consistency. Some days (today), I am completely discouraged and not sure I am doing her any favors. She still eats her scrambled egg, takes her vitamins like a champ, and gets herself to the waterer, but her energy level is really low and her poops are back to paste again. Sigh.
I have no idea what could be the problem, but if any of my flock get sick like that, I'm bringing them to you people for care! Excellent care! Best wishes, and I will pray for hen. and Cha Cha too.:idunno

Just from my own experience I think she definitely has an infection and may still need to have more fluids.
I hate to keep giving you chicken chick links on BYC because I know we have good ones here, but this is just in one of my bookmarks.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Thanks for the feedback on possible infection. The EYP poop pics on the link look similar to Cha Cha's, but I've also seen examples of infection poops that are comparable (in my newbie opinion).

My immediate concerns now are electrolytes, food, and antibiotics, if appropriate.

This morning, I was able to tube 53ml of warm water + Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. She struggled when done and regurgitated ~1 tsp liquid and 3 mealworms out of 7 my daughter gave her last night. I've been less aggressive with tubing for fear of her vomiting. She needs the fluids, but I'm not sure how to handle her crop being so slow. It doesn't ever completely empty.

Incredible record keeping of your sweet Cha Cha’s health and care. Kudos for being so thorough!

I really hope I’m wrong in my assessment, but my experience with a hen diagnosed with EYP and had almost identical poop actually turned out to be ovarian cancer. It created a blockage in her intestines which caused digestive issues similar to what you’re experiencing. However, once our girl stopped laying (she was only 8 months old), she passed less than a month later. So Cha Cha has already exceeded that and, fingers crossed, will make a full recovery. I wish you & your girl all the best :fl:hugs

Thank you, I really want to do what’s best for her.

If I can’t get the slow crop moving, I’ll have to euthanize her to end her suffering. I wasn’t sure how long after the EYP diagnosis she would have, which is why I’m on the fence between a treatable infection and an end of life situation.

I agree that she might have an infection. Can you get some Baytril or Cipro and some metronidazole?

First off, thank you so much for the information you make available here! Cha Cha is here so far because of it.

The feed store down the street has fish penicillin and fish amoxicillin. My local Tractor Supply store (California) is telling me they no longer carry antibiotics and I would need to go through a vet. I found Baytril as Enrofloxacin 10% (100ml) online (Jedds Fine Avian Products), but the fastest I can get it here is 2nd day air. Would that be too long to wait?

Unless there’s an over the counter option for Metronidazole, I may be stuck on that one. The only stuff I found online “without a prescription” is from sketchy websites.

I was wondering what to do about her slow crop, if anything, so I can get fluids/food, and now medicine, in her without her vomiting it. I really worry about her choking. When I was about to tube her as the last feeding of the day yesterday, she struggled enough to discourage the start of crop feeding. It was as if she knew what was coming. The inside of her mouth looked normal (no abrasions). I try to hold her without too much pressure and keep my fingers away from the front of her neck, so she can breathe. If you look at post #25 to orrpeople, I’ve detailed fluids from this morning.

Thanks for the feedback on possible infection. The EYP poop pics on the link look similar to Cha Cha's, but I've also seen examples of infection poops that are comparable (in my newbie opinion).

My immediate concerns now are electrolytes, food, and antibiotics, if appropriate.

This morning, I was able to tube 53ml of warm water + Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. She struggled when done and regurgitated ~1 tsp liquid and 3 mealworms out of 7 my daughter gave her last night. I've been less aggressive with tubing for fear of her vomiting. She needs the fluids, but I'm not sure how to handle her crop being so slow. It doesn't ever completely empty.
I'm going through the exact same thing right now with a turkey hen. Her crop gets so full that food and liquid pour out when she puts her head down. :thShe's also doing that weird head and neck thing. I started her on Baytril, metronidazole, Valbazen, and Corid. Today I am going to add Nystatin and ketoconazole in case she has some yeast.

Wow, 6 months of supportive care tells me you are very dedicated in my book! Good luck with your EE!

I'm definitely in "what if" territory. Cha Cha lit up and ate when she saw mealworms, just like her old self. She might be drinking on her own, but I haven't witnessed it, so I'm assuming she's not. She still talks to me. Occasionally pecks. She's pooping regularly, although it's, of course, not normal. At this point she appears slower, but not totally (outwardly) weakened.

Back
Top Bottom