Crop Feeding Sick Hen, Losing Wt, Slow Crop, Liquid from Beak, Wiggling Neck

Your turkey hen is in good hands! You are loaded for bear when it comes to meds on hand.

The worst "refunding" I've experienced was back on 4/2 when she poured like, what felt like, a faucet upon picking her up. More recently is the little bits of food, though.

I haven't witnessed the "S" wiggle neck move since yesterday, one time. (Before that was also brief, 10 days ago.)

Maybe I should be looking into these other meds as well.

Metronidazole is Fish Zole in the fish meds... ;)

Thanks! That helps. Don't you love how meds have so many different names?

I have a link to a site for Baytril, will send it to you in convo...

Since her crop is slow to empty, I would try to find injectable Baytril. In the meantime, you could try some oral amoxicillin. Dose is 56 mg per pound orally twice a day.

I would follow Kathy's instructions... she is my go to for anything of this nature and trust her opinion and experience over most others... :thumbsup

Dang - no, I'm in Redding. See if there are some exotic bird stores around - we don't have any here, so I had to send to Irvine to get it. But you might have some in that area...

Just made a few phone calls. So far, no luck. I get referred to a vet. If you were able to get it, it must not be a CA restricted thing. (?)

Since her crop is slow to empty, I would try to find injectable Baytril. In the meantime, you could try some oral amoxicillin. Dose is 56 mg per pound orally twice a day.

I haven't done injections yet. Makes me a bit nervous, but if that's the way it rolls, I'll explore it.

The local feed store has Thomas Labs Fish Mox, 250mg capsules. (Here comes the math. Whee!) Is that do-able for amoxicillin?

I haven't done injections yet. Makes me a bit nervous, but if that's the way it rolls, I'll explore it.

The local feed store has Thomas Labs Fish Mox, 250mg capsules. (Here comes the math. Whee!) Is that do-able for amoxicillin?
The fish mox will be fine. Enrofloxacin injectable is what you should get, and it can be given orally. Fear not, giving injections is easier than tube feeding, so I am 100% sure you'll have no trouble. :D

Back
Top Bottom