Crop Feeding Sick Hen, Losing Wt, Slow Crop, Liquid from Beak, Wiggling Neck

Chickens are so good at masking their pain - the theory being that they can easily lose their place in the pecking order of even be ostracized from the flock for visible weakness. Hunching with tail down is about as "in pain" as they will ever show. They just move really slowly, sit a lot, and eventually struggle to maintain neck strength or keep their wings up. I've read a couple veterinary articles saying we often allow them to suffer too long because of their stoicism.
Not that you're ready to think about this yet, but I've read this article a couple of times as I was at a crossroads with sick birds.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/5-ways-to-prepare-for-chicken-illness/

It makes sense that they mask pain so they don't appear vulnerable. And not fully knowing is why I'm struggling with the "when is it time" question. Thank you for the link.

Cha Cha 4-8-18 .jpg
I'm having technical difficulties with my phone pics. I'll keep working on it to get them posted ASAP.
This photo of Cha Cha was taken 4/8/18

This photo of 3 droppings was taken 4/11/18 early am. The appearance of the brown parts makes it different than previous droppings.

Attachments

• Cha Cha Dropping with Brown 4-11-18.jpg
    Cha Cha Dropping with Brown 4-11-18.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 18
This pic shows the sunflower kernel (?) that she regurgitated on 4/11/18. The only access she had was to BOSS in the shell 9 days ago.

Attachments

• Cha Cha Sunflower Seed 4-11-18.jpg
    Cha Cha Sunflower Seed 4-11-18.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 20
This shot was taken 4/11/18 in the afternoon. It seems to have mucous this time. No others have looked like it to date.

Another dropping (no photo) the evening of 4/11/18 was like the photo in #15 since it had the brown part to it.

Attachments

• Cha Cha Dropping Green White Yellow 4-11-18.jpg
    Cha Cha Dropping Green White Yellow 4-11-18.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 17
Incredible record keeping of your sweet Cha Cha’s health and care. Kudos for being so thorough!

I really hope I’m wrong in my assessment, but my experience with a hen diagnosed with EYP and had almost identical poop actually turned out to be ovarian cancer. It created a blockage in her intestines which caused digestive issues similar to what you’re experiencing. However, once our girl stopped laying (she was only 8 months old), she passed less than a month later. So Cha Cha has already exceeded that and, fingers crossed, will make a full recovery. I wish you & your girl all the best :fl:hugs

Back
Top Bottom