Crop not emptying on baby chick

aswartzalso

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Born September 11. I've noticed her crop is always full. She got electrolytes and vitamins for three days and fed medicated chick starter. What sho u 'd I do? Seems a active and is eating and drinking.

Hmmmm....Starveout happens to Chicks...We all learn as we go..
Consider this a chance to learn then....
chicks are designed to follow a natural day/night cycle from hatch, just like an adult bird. This means they are designed to fill their crop at "bedtime" and then digest that feed during the overnight hours, waking with an empty crop in the morning and filling it again. Pulling feed from them at the time they should be going to roost and replacing it in the morning after checking the crop of a suspected crop issue bird poses absolutely zero risk of causing "starveout" to that chick or any other chick in the brood. It is actually the commonly prescribed approach in these exact situations - regardless of bird age.

Consider this a chance to learn then....
chicks are designed to follow a natural day/night cycle from hatch, just like an adult bird. This means they are designed to fill their crop at "bedtime" and then digest that feed during the overnight hours, waking with an empty crop in the morning and filling it again. Pulling feed from them at the time they should be going to roost and replacing it in the morning after checking the crop of a suspected crop issue bird poses absolutely zero risk of causing "starveout" to that chick or any other chick in the brood. It is actually the commonly prescribed approach in these exact situations - regardless of bird age.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom