Crop problem or something else?

Scharrelkipje

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2023
Dear fellow chicken enthusiasts,

I am seeking help and advice. Last week, I discovered a hard crop in one of my 3 chickens. Immediately, I administered 10ml of water with 20% apple cider vinegar, which allowed me to massage the crop. In the following days, I checked the crop every morning and evening, and each time, it remained hard, prompting me to repeat the above procedure. The issue persists. I do not detect any sour odor, which could indicate "sour crop."

Starting last Thursday, I have been adding Finecto+ C&W (Finendo+ COX & WORM supports the natural immune system of the animals, inhibits the development of intestinal parasites and optimizes intestinal health) to the drinking water of all my chickens, along with Vitamin A-D3-E supplements.

The chicken is eating and drinking normally and remains relatively active. I noticed her comb appeared paler, but after administering the vitamins, it improved.
She was born in February this year and has not started laying eggs yet. Considering the shorter days, I expect this might happen in spring.

The breed is Cream Legbar, and there are no lice on the chickens.
They are housed in a secure, covered run with access to poultry pellets, water, and grit throughout the day.
Occasionally, they receive leftover scraps/garden waste or a handful of mixed grains.
I'm based in The Netherlands.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening or what I can do to help?

Sorry about your hen. I'm in the USA so not familiar with your products but sounds like you're doing well with her if her comb is improving. It sounds like you might still suspect a crop issue, so if that could be it, here's a great article of all the different crop issues and what to do about them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Are they eating something akin to layer feed, have oyster shell (calcium) in a separate dish for those who need it and her/their poops look normal?

Thank you for your reply. I have read the info in your link.
I have tried the coconut oil last night. I'm unable to empty the crop completely.
This morning there was still food in the crop and it was hard. So, it does not empty overnight. It was smaller than yesterday evening though.

This morning i spoke to a vet and she suspects the crop has been over-stretched.
She advised me to feed cottage cheese or yogurt to help with breaking down the food in the crop. Also, to keep up with the massages. Hopefully the muscles in/around the crop will improve.

Back
Top Bottom