Crossing BBR roo to Wheaten hen. What color chicks would you get? Then breed those F1’s together.

Knight101

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 5, 2017
Crossing BBR roo with Wheaten hen will give me F1s. After F1s are crossed, F2s will be pure wheaten, half wheaten and BBR. F2 chicks have the yellow Wheaton chick down, yellow Wheaton with slight chipmunk pattern, or more BBR chipmunk?
If I’m trying to select wheaten out could I just choose the BBRs with chipmunk pattern for the next breeders. Then cull crosses based off yellow wheaten influence.

Could you do this to select out the Wheaton, because the only other is doing crosses to check for purity and that would take way longer then identifying it early?

Last edited:
Crossing BBR roo with Wheaten hen will give me F1s. After F1s are crossed, F2s will be pure wheaten, half wheaten and BBR. F2 chicks have the yellow Wheaton chick down, yellow Wheaton with slight chipmunk pattern, or more BBR chipmunk?
If I’m trying to select wheaten out could I just choose the BBRs with chipmunk pattern for the next breeders. Then cull crosses based off yellow wheaten influence.

Could you do this to select out the Wheaton, because the only other is doing crosses to check for purity and that would take way longer then identifying it early?

You are definitely right that sorting them by chick down color would be much faster than raising them up and test-mating with Wheatens to see which ones carry Wheaten!

I think the mixed chicks will show some stripes, but maybe not as clearly as the pure BBR chicks.

It might help if you take quite a few photos of the F1 chicks (wheaten/BBR mix), both at hatch and as they grow. Then you can compare F2 chicks with those, to help identify the mixes. Details of the back stripes and the head/eye markings may turn out to be quite important for this.

When they grow up, I think you'll find that all the males look alike (wheaten, BBR, or mixed), but the wheaten & BBR females should look different from each other, and the mixed females might look different yet. I think you are more likely to need test-mating with the F2 males than females (unless you cross back to your original BBR male, and skip the F2 males entirely.)

Back
Top Bottom