Crowing hen -- caught on video

SJensen

Songster
14 Years
Jul 29, 2009
South Surrey
Our hen "Vulture" started crowing a couple of weeks ago! Today I was able to run to the window and catch her with my video camera.
Link: http://jensenschickens.blogspot.com/

She's a year old and has been laying eggs regularly, I think. I heard that this can be the result of a hormonal imbalance and that she may stop laying eggs. How common is this, I wonder?

Quote:
I think it's pretty funny that your hen's name is "Vulture" .. I have one named "Buzzard" .. hehe

I can't see your video (blocked at work) .. but I'm sure it's cute!

gig.gif
How amazing that you actually caught this on video! I've heard of it, but never witnessed it. I'm considering the rehoming of my roo in my older girls pen and wondering which one of them will take on the rooster role.
lol.png

When I first heard her try to crow a couple weeks ago, I thought something was wrong... hopefully she won't get any louder...

About the name "Vulture", my ten year old picked that when she was a chick -- and it still fits! She can be quite mean to the lower hens and we're hoping she mellows out.

I had no idea they would crow like that. Do you have other roosters around and is she mocking them? Anyway it's funny. Looks like she has a hairball like our cat.
lau.gif

There haven't been other roosters around since last autumn -- I guess she feels like she should rise to the occasion!

Hi Cheryl,
They're a mixed lot -- when I asked on this forum people thought Fancypants was a Polish/Silkie Cross. They say Vulture looks like an EE/Silkie cross.

I had a crowing hen too. Its common for a lead hen to assume the role of the roo in a rooster-less flock. They sometimes crow, and also may mount other hens, lead them to food when free ranging, look out for danger, etc. Just like a rooster does. Its not unheard of. Since you dont have a rooster, I would guess thats what you have going on I dont think it has to do with hormones, as much as pecking order and social structure. My old crowing hen didnt lay too many eggs anyway, but she went broody often, and was a great mama, crowing and all.

Back
Top Bottom