Crows stealing eggs

Maybe I've read too many internet legends hahaha, but I totally would no matter how silly it would look 🤣
it’s true!! They do recognize faces! They know who is kind to them and they know who is not and if you are not kind to them, you’ll be on their list!!

Crows have been entering my chicken coop and stealing eggs. For the past couple of days I noticed my eggs were missing I thought my chickens weren’t producing. Does this at all effect egg production (stressing the chickens) and how can I prevent crows from entering my coop without blocking an entrance for my chickens nesting boxes.
Crows have been entering my chicken coop and stealing eggs. For the past couple of days I noticed my eggs were missing I thought my chickens weren’t producing. Does this at all effect egg production (stressing the chickens) and how can I prevent crows from entering my coop without blocking an entrance for my chickens nesting boxes.

Same issue. Cannot cover run.

Stopped crows for many months by covering coop door with shower curtain (fixed to top and one side, small cut out for hens, I can push and get in, flaps in breeze, chooks got used to it - initially I fixed both sides until hens got accostomed to it) and hanging spiral silver sun catchers.

Crows stealing eggs again.

I took one egg, poked metal skewer each end, blew some white out into dish, added Tabasco and other hot sauce to, syringed back into egg, put egg back out. Crows took egg, broke and ate about third. Apparently birds not affected by chilli (read after I put egg out 😦).

If they keep taking I'll put healthy (moo goo) body wash into egg. Next time I wouldn't try to break yolk before blowing out egg white, will look more normal and less leakage out of holes.

Hope this helps others.

I'm open for suggestions for other liquid to put in eggs that crows won't like but won't harm my chooks (just in case they try to eat - haven't eaten own eggs yet but egg mixture oozes out of ends a bit, don't want to risk).

Tried hanging fake bird of prey - crows got used to it before hens, don't recommend dummy owls, hawks, eagles... CDs/ suncatchers did help... Restricted door entry helped too. I removed magnets after chooks got used to going through cut out. Didn't try noise makers.

Attachments

• 20231214_120602.jpg
    20231214_120602.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231214_120506.jpg
    20231214_120506.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230922_180222.jpg
    20230922_180222.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230919_134254.jpg
    20230919_134254.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Install scarecrow-like devices or visual deterrents near the coop. Crows are intelligent birds and can be deterred by objects that appear threatening or unfamiliar

Back
Top Bottom