Cruel disposal of unwanted chicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They couldn't eat anything. All life is created from death. The soil is made of death, decomposed plants and animals. Fertilizer comes from bone, blood and manure. Plants must have these things to survive and we must have them to survive. There is a greater circle than most vegans realize, that makes their personal beliefs sound kind of petty. No offense to them. Until someone figures out how to satisfy the ethics of every person on this planet, there will be "unpleasantness" in the quest for survival.

Yes, and eating just leaves will deprive other species from eating it - perhaps a rabbit, or insects, or maybe decomposing soil organisms. So even that kills other creatures via competition for a food resource. I do think some vegans understand this "circle", though. They believe they are taking the most humane route, knowing that no choice is perfect.

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon a video that says male chicks at hatcheries are "ground up alive" because they are not sold (
). I was wondering -- is this really what hatcheries do to unwanted chicks? Is this video legitimate? And, if not, how DO hatcheries dispose of unwanted chicks?

Thanks!

Not all hatcheries do this but some do, have you ever read on dog food or cat food bag ingredients as chicken or poultry well this is where it comes from, it's sad but roosters just aren't as popular or needed as much as hens and pullets

Not all hatcheries do this but some do, have you ever read on dog food or cat food bag ingredients as chicken or poultry well this is where it comes from, it's sad but roosters just aren't as popular or needed as much as hens and pullets
If i had not ran out of the Thumbs id give you one that is so true and one of the reasons i read closely on whats in the bag .
Tammy

Yes, and eating just leaves will deprive other species from eating it - perhaps a rabbit, or insects, or maybe decomposing soil organisms. So even that kills other creatures via competition for a food resource. I do think some vegans understand this "circle", though. They believe they are taking the most humane route, knowing that no choice is perfect.

Yeah, I'm speaking of the abolitionist vegans who are most extreme and are using videos like to this to condemn domestication of any sort. I have an auntie who is vegetarian and is wonderful about it. I also have a cousin who is vegan and absolutely impossible to be around, so yeah, I'm a little jaded where vegans are concerned. I couldn't live with myself around the cousin. Everything I do is wrong and even contemplating her lifestyle, still, I can't break the connections in my mind, separate myself enough from the food chain, draw an invisible line. There is no line. Like a circle, there are infinite tangents.

[[[[.......In response to your challenge: Article by Don Schrider courtesy of Backyard Poultry magazine (Determining sex in chicks) ......]]]]]]]]

And then there will be all this public outrage over "genetically altered chickens" and lots of exhortation to not buy any eggs from genetically altered chickens. Seriously; science can't win.
That is so true. Most people do not know that we eat things that have been developed. Do they really think the corn , tomatoes etc we eat are natural?

Seems that chickens don't have much animal rights.
sad.png
They practicly have none. :(

That is so true. Most people do not know that we eat things that have been developed. Do they really think the corn , tomatoes etc we eat are natural?

But what end have they been developed to? Ie. Taste? Docility? Hardiness? Nutritional value? Speed of production? This is something that has started to differ quite a bit. Many I know do not eat sweet corn, modern bananas, or other veggies that have been pushed towards size and sweetness. Many I know dislike store bought tomatoes that, in addition to any differences in development, undergo processes that allow them to ship out as food is often no longer largely a local affair. For instance, the process of picking them green and ripening them artificially does not allow for the nutrients to develop fully, which is one thing that contributes to the bland taste of what we buy on the shelves. Even fruit we view as being whole and wholesome (ie. apples) now go through many processes aimed at food that is cheaper on an immediate level, looks uniform in shape and color to consumers, often is larger, has a long shelf life, can travel/be stored easily, etc.

The heavy lobbying going on to ensure that things like GMOs, artificial sweeteners (neotame), and so forth are not labeled purposefully make it even harder for consumers to make their own informed decisions about what foods they eat, along with heavily misleading labeling such as "free-range".

So sadly yes, many do not realize how developed things like corn is. The disconnect between us and our food is very purposeful, as are steps that move the control of food firmly into corporate hands.

I am going to step on a few toes but every time humans create more life that is a mouth that must be fed. I am not pointing as I myself have 3 children but at the rate the world is growing it is impossible to continue the "old ways" on a large scale. I live in the northern plains and I don't like the fact the the corn is genetically altered or that it is sprayed and fertilized but at the end of the day if it was not someone would go hungry. We are in a drought comparable to the 30's and the plants that made it were drought resistant strains not the stuff that you grow in the garden. My garden died while being watered and the stuff accross the road in full sun was still kicking didn't make much per acre but made it none the less. There is simply not enough space to feed the masses and eventually it will be survival of the fittest as it was in the begining. Sorry that I went all dooms day on here...personally I dont want to live through an apocalypse!!

I am going to step on a few toes but every time humans create more life that is a mouth that must be fed. I am not pointing as I myself have 3 children but at the rate the world is growing it is impossible to continue the "old ways" on a large scale. I live in the northern plains and I don't like the fact the the corn is genetically altered or that it is sprayed and fertilized but at the end of the day if it was not someone would go hungry. We are in a drought comparable to the 30's and the plants that made it were drought resistant strains not the stuff that you grow in the garden. My garden died while being watered and the stuff accross the road in full sun was still kicking didn't make much per acre but made it none the less. There is simply not enough space to feed the masses and eventually it will be survival of the fittest as it was in the begining. Sorry that I went all dooms day on here...personally I dont want to live through an apocalypse!!

I think you are saying that those that take advantage of GMO's, etc., are the "fittest" who will survive. I agree with you, but only from a short term perspective. Technological advances that provide for the growing masses simply encourage continued population growth. The problem with that is that the earth is finite, and no technology can change that. In the long term, increased human activity on the planet means increased resource consumption, increased rate of species extinctions, increased production of waste products, and degraded ecosystems. Technology cannot make infinite human population growth inconsequential, and if we do not manage our own numbers, ecological collapse is the likely consequence, IMO. Ecosystem collapse means famine, thirst, and disease....that is, reduced human population achieved the hard way: exactly what we sought to avoid when we developed the technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom