Crumble or pellet?

AmyMon

Songster
Jun 25, 2022
Hello, I switched our six chickens to layer feed as soon as we got an egg on July 31. I bought the crumble layer feed first, thinking it would be an easier transition from the grower crumble. Considering going to layer pellet for the next bag. What do you suggest—crumble or pellet? We do some mix-ins, such as Omega-3 (crumble) from Manna Pro and garlic powder. TIA!

What do you suggest—crumble or pellet?
I suggest you put them back on grower for the next bag. Or Flock Raiser. Put out 2 containers of oyster shell to satisfy the calcium needs of the active layers. Shoot for something with 18-20% protein and 0.8-1.3% calcium.

I've never fed layer feed and never will. It forces the birds to constantly consume excess calcium regardless if their bodies need it or not.
Layer feed also only offers the minimum amount of protein. I prefer my flock to have an optimal amount vs a minimal.

There are many times when you will not want all of your birds eating lots of extra calcium that the kidneys then have to work overtime to process and remove from the blood stream. Like during the annual molt, when a hen goes broody or is raising chicks, when you integrate new chicks/pre-POL pullets into your flock or if you are lucky enough to have a rooster or two.

I use all flock pellets. I agree with doberlover 100%. I have a container of oyster shell. I also have a rooster and 12 pullets. The rooster took a bite of oyster shell, shook his head and never went near it again. That tells me layer feed would not set well. Why feed something they don't need, don't like?
Just my 2 cents worth.

I bought pellet once in error and my chickens refused it. They will only eat crumble. Instead of wasting the 50 pound bag, I took a hammer to the pellets to crush them up. I buy the layer feed and have chickens for 6 years. The feed is not 100 percent of their intake. I also feed seed, scratch, weeds and table scraps in moderation.

Crumble layer and pellet layer from the same mill is the same feed. The feed is first extruded and comes out as pellets. To get crumbles it goes through another step where it is partially crushed.
Some chickens can pick up pellets easier so have less waste. Some feeders clog up with one style of feed over the other. Choose what works for you.

Crumble layer and pellet layer from the same mill is the same feed. The feed is first extruded and comes out as pellets. To get crumbles it goes through another step where it is partially crushed.
Some chickens can pick up pellets easier so have less waste. Some feeders clog up with one style of feed over the other. Choose what works for you.
This :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom