How to transition from chick to layer feed?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
Any advice on how to transition from
Chick feed to layer feed. I read I should buy a bag of layer crumble and mix with chick crumble first and after that I should mix layer crumble with layer pellet. This is to get them used to a different diet and then to the pellets.

If you want them on pellets, I'd skip the layer crumble and just transition them right from the chick crumble to pellets. I do this similarly to how you describe in the first post, mixing the crumble and a little bit of the pellets together, gradually adding more and more pellets to the mix until the crumble is gone. 🙂

I personally switch over cold turkey, if I don't they may scratch out the new feed to get to the feed they're used to. I do tend to stick with the same brands so the feeds they're being transitioned to are similar in ingredients. Never had an issue doing that (compared to my dogs, which definitely need a gradual transition to new food even if it is similar to the old).

I personally switch over cold turkey, if I don't they may scratch out the new feed to get to the feed they're used to. I do tend to stick with the same brands so the feeds they're being transitioned to are similar in ingredients. Never had an issue doing that (compared to my dogs, which definitely need a gradual transition to new food even if it is similar to the old).
Thank you! I will do just that!

I personally switch over cold turkey, if I don't they may scratch out the new feed to get to the feed they're used to. I do tend to stick with the same brands so the feeds they're being transitioned to are similar in ingredients. Never had an issue doing that (compared to my dogs, which definitely need a gradual transition to new food even if it is similar to the old
If you want them on pellets, I'd skip the layer crumble and just transition them right from the chick crumble to pellets. I do this similarly to how you describe in the first post, mixing the crumble and a little bit of the pellets together, gradually adding more and more pellets to the mix until the crumble is gone. 🙂
ok thank you!!! I will layer it in and just go pellets which is what I really want them on. Thanks for your help

Is 9 weeks too early to start layer feed? I know you should switch over when the pullets start laying but my husband accidentally bought a 40lb bag of layer feed so I wanted to know if it’s okay to feed that until the bag is gone and then switch back to starter/grower?

If unopened, the store will take the layer feed back. No, it's not okay to feed a growing pullet. It has too much calcium (hard on kidneys) and not enough protein 9required for cell growth). You may safely feed all flock feed, though, such as Purina Flock Raiser. That can be fed at any time, laying or not, and it has plenty of protein for cell growth.

Back
Top Bottom