Crustys clogging chicks noses?

It helps to stay on the same thread when you have a sickness so that we can see what others have suggested. I read your previous thread about treating with antibiotics. What are you using, and how old are the chicks? Have you done any reading about the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis (IB,) mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or aspergillosis? Antibiotics will only treat symptoms of MG or coryza, but if they have a virus or fungal infection, it won't help. It would be helpful to get them tested to know what you have. Did the chicks come from a breeder or did you hatch them?
For cleaning the nostrils, I would use saline and QTips. A few drops of peroxide and toothpicks can be helpful if it is really bad.

It helps to stay on the same thread when you have a sickness so that we can see what others have suggested. I read your previous thread about treating with antibiotics. What are you using, and how old are the chicks? Have you done any reading about the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis (IB,) mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or aspergillosis? Antibiotics will only treat symptoms of MG or coryza, but if they have a virus or fungal infection, it won't help. It would be helpful to get them tested to know what you have. Did the chicks come from a breeder or did you hatch them?
For cleaning the nostrils, I would use saline and QTips. A few drops of peroxide and toothpicks can be helpful if it is really bad.

I haven't been on the same thread cause I wasn't getting many responses so I thought maybe a new one would help. I got the chicks from tractor supply. I went back and said they were sick and they recommended oxytetracycline hci. I've been using it for a few days. Some of the chicks actually seen a little better but some of the others are getting worse. So far all 6 in that brooder have come down with it. No diarrhea but they are coughing and have runny/stuffed nose. I've quarantined them now just praying my others don't catch it. I love these ones so I want to do everything I can to save them but I'm just inexperienced and don't know what else to do... :(

Make sure their bedding is clean and dry. Every day rake it around, and every few days, add clean pine shavings. Make sure they have good air circulation. Prevent water spills by placing waterers up on little blocks to shoulder height. Don't keep it too hot in the brooder. It's best to post again on the same thread when you are not getting a response. Those of us who have posted will see that you have posted again. Certain times of the night are just kind of dead, but mornings and early evenings are good times to post.

Ok thanks for the help. I'll come back to this post if I need to. Do you know if I can add save a
Make sure their bedding is clean and dry. Every day rake it around, and every few days, add clean pine shavings. Make sure they have good air circulation. Prevent water spills by placing waterers up on little blocks to shoulder height. Don't keep it too hot in the brooder. It's best to post again on the same thread when you are not getting a response. Those of us who have posted will see that you have posted again. Certain times of the night are just kind of dead, but mornings and early evenings are good times to post. Do you know if I can add save a chick electrolytes to the water with the antibiotics?

Ok thanks for the help. I'll come back to this post if I need to. Do you know if I can add save a
Make sure their bedding is clean and dry. Every day rake it around, and every few days, add clean pine shavings. Make sure they have good air circulation. Prevent water spills by placing waterers up on little blocks to shoulder height. Don't keep it too hot in the brooder. It's best to post again on the same thread when you are not getting a response. Those of us who have posted will see that you have posted again. Certain times of the night are just kind of dead, but mornings and early evenings are good times to post. Do you know if I can add save a chick electrolytes to the water with the antibiotics?

Sorry I got cut off. Can I add save a chick electrolytes to the water with the antibiotics?

So another question. If it was cocci what would I look for? I went in this morning and their was a little blood in the poo. Not much but it looked a bit reddish. Could this be from the antibiotics? Other then their noses being stuffed and labored breathing from the runt they all are very active.

It could be a little blood or some intestinal shedding. If you see more take a picture or consider starting some Corid. Instestinal shed looks a little stringy and an orangy red.

Back
Top Bottom