CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice female above. Thank you for the picture. Your Silver Rocks I think have had some bantam blood put in them to improve the color. Today it seems every Tom Dick and Harry person is crossing some-ting of one thing or another in their birds. Maybe they had to or wanted to see what would happen. It will be a haunting thing however to get your birds back up to size. However, as a breeder if I had a nice male with good color and type and he weighed 8 pounds I would be happy. So he is not a 11 pound bird like most mid west white rocks. He is close to standard and he is a good representative of the color pattern and breed. He may never win best Rock at a show because judges want such large birds but you are a breeder not a point chaser. There is a difference. I would much better be know as a good breeder than some master breeder who scored 100 points for some breed or National Chicken club.

Today I was talking to a friend about White Wyandottes he told me a guy was crossing his Whites which are very true to type on White Rocks to make them bigger. Here we go again on this fad of crossing a different breeds onto a breed to make them bigger ect. It wont be long that no chicken in a America will be pure. They always got to cross something on to a breed. In the long run it comes back to bight you in the butt. A guy had some nice White Rock bantams and they started to look like White Oprington bantams. Then a guy told me a fellow 20 years ago crossed his White Wyandotte bantams onto his White Rock bantams and the customers 15 years latter have to fight the faults.

Its what Schilling who use to preach at the Madison Square Garden Shows Faddists its a evil thing that so many people get into in poultry. We are seeing this today in Goverment things that we take for granted are being taken away from us. You wonder in ten years if we will have to pay a tax to have chickens. Fad ism is a evil think in chickens. Always has and always will be. Cant we just go along with the Standard and get over it.

Out side in the cold and freeze my hands off for one more our. Joesph what a pleasure talking to you last night. I am so proud of your success and knowing you will be a good Stewart to these old breeds you have. Steve nice talking to you today. Make me a snow man and take a picture of it. Matt more people want those stupid Mowhawk large fowl Reds. What are we going to do.??

I still like those Silver Pencilled Rocks you have. Pick the biggest eggs hatch form the biggest hens you have, hatch early as you can and in time they will get a little bigger. Still one of the best lines in the USA. bob
Bob,

Has no one contacted Warren Starke in Seale, Ala. to find out where Charles Tigner's SP Rocks went? What a pity. They were great.

Bob, I posted this a few pages back. A Partridge roo.
OK... I will jump in for the Rocks. I acquired this roo via hatching eggs from a fellow BYC'er at Newnan last year. She got her stock from Dick Horstman. I am new to all this, I don't show. I am not as well read in the SOP as I should be but SOON I hope I will have the eye that long time breeders have.

My roo is a Partridge Rock he is about 10 months old. I know the white at the tail is bad, not sure how to correct it. His color is VERY Dark Mahogany and has a nice green sheen. No purple. He is broad but maybe a little too narrow (not the same as the shoulders) at the tail. His eye color is ok his comb looks ok. I don't find any huge faults in him. I don't have any others to compare him to. He was the only partridge to hatch. He did not want to pose so pardon the poor pics. I didn't get a pic of his tail, but is nice and v shaped.

There are 2 hens hiding behind him LOL.

I also have a GSBR roo, but I wanted to use the Partridge since we don't see many. Fire AWAY!

Sorry had to redo my pics for some reason.
hmm.png

My White Rocks are basically from Halback. Oliver Bowen got much of his stock from them thirty and forty years ago. I got mine from him about 20 years ago.

I think most Whites have their old blood line. Good dual purpose birds in my view.

Walt, can you explain "crow head" with some detail? I've seen this description used quite a bit with Marans, but I don't understand exactly what it means.
hide.gif

Fred, it looks like the very first picture in top row of that last one you posted is also crow headed - or, could it just be that the bird's neck is stretched forward?

smack.gif

With love in my heart, aoxa.
gig.gif

Ever need any help with it, I'm more than happy to assist :)

Now I'm going to see if any of my birds have this type of head.

ETA: Well.. can't see any with it through my pictures.. Someone mentioned Crows head is a sign of an unhealthy bird? Is that true?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom