CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Class Section III

Wyandotte
All varieties are welcome to be displayed and discussed. Remember. This thread is dedicated to standard bred birds, thus all posters, discussions and critiques should remember to reference the APA Standard of Perfection for the breed. Technical drawings, plates, diagrams and historical background on the breed are not only welcome, but highly encouraged.
Here's my 7 1/2 month old BLRW pullet...she just started laying a few weeks ago...has been almost laying daily now. In my beginner's opinion, she could use more shade depth to her blue lacing color...more type to head...and shorter back?...she is Blue Poultry lines (Missouri) and was bred/hatched at Chicken Scratch poultry (Illinois). I invite any and all commentary on this non-recognized variety. I am very new to Wyandottes. My understanding is that the best type is found in the white and SL variety. fif i may add that I am currently looking to add these and would love to know who is breeding closest to APA standard. thanks!

I will try to get a back view pic of her tail...it is very good in that it has the 'tee pee' look. thanks! these were just some shots I already had on my phone. (-;

I found these on the internet and unfortunately don't know the source...I am assuming it's either the UK or US old Standards reference. Overall shape and type may be the most elusive to explain...I find these helpful for the "Bird of Curves" Wyandotte.

I started with Columbian Wyandottes after trying Silver laced and Blue Laced. I have acquired a flock of 5 hens and a rooster that was shepherded by two long-time Oklahoma breeders who showed and maintained the quality of the birds. I am trying to continue the variety and have two other color pens .

Columbian Wyandotte
Hen - 3 year old

Rooster 2 year old...that's his sickle feathers in the above photo

Same rooster

Young pullet (6 month) with what I think is proper lacing on tail feathers

Older broody hen with chicks from meat/layer chicks she was allowed to hatch... notice her head and black ticking on back

Blue Columbian (not accepted color variety) and an older CW hen looking at backs

Older hens three of the original 5

Two of the older hens in background, young pullet and rooster

Rooster with his current Pen 1-CWs and Pen 2 - F1 daughters before they went into separate pens

Blue Wyandotte hen and daughter

Well feathered bum that will need plucking to improve fertility

Black Wyandotte hen She is F1 out of the CW roo and a Blue hen so her legs are not the proper yellow but kept for type and weight. Rear has a nice tent.

While not an accepted color, this Birchen Wyandotte has what I think may be a nice comb and wattles

These were birds I no longer have
SLW hen and rooster. They were both hatchery from Ideal throu Atwood's

BLRW breeder stock - Rooster with a splash hen and a BLR hen

You can see how big the young rooster is. At 18 months he already weighed 12 pounds. (Carl is 6' tall)

wing feathers

Another BLR henl

Last edited:
I have been away at the ABA National meet.

This bird looks like a Rock with a rose comb. The tail should be higher and the legs should look yellow, but both of these faults could be the picture. One of the biggest faults in Wyandottes is in the tail area. They should not have weak/bunny tails. They need stiff tail feathers to achieve the "tee pee" look in the tail.

The front of any rose comb should be straight with no dent or V indentation.

Walt

B]Black Wyandotte[/B] hen She is F1 out of the CW roo and a Blue hen so her legs are not the proper yellow but kept for type and weight. Rear has a nice tent.
Not only a tepee but you also need the feathers to fan out. The spread from top feather to bottom feather should be greater.

Sometimes it is because the birds are hot. I had thought split wing was caused by a missing feather, but one of my Barred Rocks has split wing on one side only. He has all the correct number of feathers, but wing looks like photo posted above. I took him to a show just because I wanted a professional opinion on him and sure enough, the judge said split wing.

Out of curiosity, did that judge open his wing to look at it or did he see it in the cage and decide from there?

I ask because I have a bird who is very nice in every other respect. He holds his wings nice and high, no drooping at all but when his wings are folded, his right wing looks like his feathers are out of place. It looks like a split wing but upon inspection (at least 6 times already) he has all his correct feathers, including the axial. Sometimes they fold up like they're supposed to and other times, I see that darned first secondary feather (at least thats the one I think it is).

Judges?

Out of curiosity, did that judge open his wing to look at it or did he see it in the cage and decide from there?

I ask because I have a bird who is very nice in every other respect. He holds his wings nice and high, no drooping at all but when his wings are folded, his right wing looks like his feathers are out of place. It looks like a split wing but upon inspection (at least 6 times already) he has all his correct feathers, including the axial. Sometimes they fold up like they're supposed to and other times, I see that darned first secondary feather (at least thats the one I think it is).

Judges?

The judge has to take the bird out of the cage and open both wings whenever judging. Keep in mind that loose wings and split wings are two different things.....and neither is good. Split wing gets you a DQ and most judges will DQ it if it has the axial in place if it looks like a split wing and has all 21 wing feathers.

Walt

I'm new to chickens, only 5 years now and trying to look close at type than color. Let me know what I'm overlooking. These birds are 8 months old and need to fill out more.
I like his overview, wish he had stiffer tail feathers, wonky triple leader on his comb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom