CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
normanack - thanks for posting! Her back should be flat, horizontal to the ground (not uphill), and longer. To me, her tail is a bit too long. Also, her eyes are not dark enough - they should be almost black. It's great to see another specimen - thanks!

normanack - thanks for posting! Her back should be flat, horizontal to the ground (not uphill), and longer. To me, her tail is a bit too long. Also, her eyes are not dark enough - they should be almost black. It's great to see another specimen - thanks!
I appreciate the feedback! It's interesting that hatchery breeding preserved foot color and a silhouette that maybe, possibly, in the correct lighting and if you squint, has a whisper of resemblance to a classic Jersey Giant. I wonder how many generations it took to lose recognizable breed traits (like that horizontal back), and if they'll lose every resemblance to the breed standard given a few more years. Or maybe they inject fresh show lines into the mix every so often. I have no idea but it would be interesting to find out.

edited to add: Not that I expect show-quality examples of the breed from hatcheries -- a healthy chick with some resemblance to the standard is all I ask for.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback! It's interesting that hatchery breeding preserved foot color and a silhouette that maybe, possibly, in the correct lighting and if you squint, has a whisper of resemblance to a classic Jersey Giant. I wonder how many generations it took to lose recognizable breed traits (like that horizontal back), and if they'll lose every resemblance to the breed standard given a few more years. Or maybe they inject fresh show lines into the mix every so often. I have no idea but it would be interesting to find out.

edited to add: Not that I expect show-quality examples of the breed from hatcheries -- a healthy chick with some resemblance to the standard is all I ask for.

It doesn't take long at all. You can do a lot of damage in one generation with a single bad breeding decision. For the most part hatcheries are interested in quantity not quality. They will produce birds that largely resemble the breed like yours, but fall short of quality. They're generally healthy birds as they're not too closely bred & meet the needs of most backyarders.
I assume your bird is underweight. I say that because she's fine boned: her shank should be much thicker than it appears to be.

I assume your bird is underweight. I say that because she's fine boned: her shank should be much thicker than it appears to be.
Underweight as in falling below the breed standard for weight? Or underweight as in she is too thin and there might be something wrong? I hope (and assume) the former!

She's roughly the same size as the other breeds of hatchery hens in the flock, a little deeper in the body. But the (private breeder) Coronation Sussex is much heftier than her -- taller, broader, longer, a big fat hen.

Underweight as in falling below the breed standard for weight? Or underweight as in she is too thin and there might be something wrong? I hope (and assume) the former!

She's roughly the same size as the other breeds of hatchery hens in the flock, a little deeper in the body. But the (private breeder) Coronation Sussex is much heftier than her -- taller, broader, longer, a big fat hen.
Yeah, that first one.

Is anyone interested in viewing the old article I have in PDF format on judging the Giant?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom