CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hypothetical question for Walt. If you have two identical buckeyes, the only difference is one has a well defined slate bar and one does not, who wins? Remember everything else is identical.

I have a hypothetical question for Walt. If you have two identical buckeyes, the only difference is one has a well defined slate bar and one does not, who wins? Remember everything else is identical.

The one with the slate bar on the back because that is what the Standard calls for. In reality many judges don't mark heavily on undercolor if everything else is correct. In many breeds the surface color is correct but the undercolor is light. Until this breed becomes more popular and judges see it in shows, I don't think a lot of judges know that it is supposed to have a bar of slate on the back feathers. Judging is like any other profession, some are good and some are not. 50% of doctors were in the bottom half of their class......as an example. Everyone should keep in mind that a judge has to remember 400 pages of technical information. If you see a judge look in his SOP you have a judge that is conscientious.
Not many of us can remember all these details unless we run across them on a regular basis.

Walt

Ok then. If we're doing hypotheticals.

Walt, if you had two birds competing against each in a show:

• one with perfect type and less than perfect color, and

• one with perfect color and less than perfect type, and

• all other things being equal,

which one would you place higher?

Ok then. If we're doing hypotheticals.

Walt, if you had two birds competing against each in a show:

• one with perfect type and less than perfect color, and

• one with perfect color and less than perfect type, and

• all other things being equal,

which one would you place higher?
The bird with the correct type. Type is always more important than color...but....color cuts are by section, so if you have a bird that is incorrect in color all over the bird it, will be scored accordingly. I have never seen a poor type bird beat a good typed bird just because of color...unless the color is foreign to the variety. In the scheme of things the body is by far the most important part of a chicken. As an example: If you have a Buckeye with a short back, color is not going to place it over a correct bird with some color faults..or it shouldn't be. Some judges when they don't know a breed will judge by color and condition only. That is wrong!...but I have seen it happen. Short backed Australorps have won on condition only in some parts of the US. That's why ...if you want to impress me, tell me who judged and now many birds you beat overall........as some of you know, I'm not easily impressed. Judges only have a minute or so to make a determination when handling a bird. Because of that things can happen. Generally if the bird gets to the class champion or reserve class champ level it has had more than one judge look at it, so it is a more accurate placing. When only one judge has judged it things can happen. Judging is a tough job!!

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom