CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was snapping pics of my other birds, I accidently snapped this photo today. Take a note that his wing has been clipped. That should be OK because I was hoping to discuss his Type, his underline, his topline, etc...

I posted pics of him a 4 or 5 pages back, but this shot was just too good not to post... I wasn't even trying to get a pic of him LOL

The lower chest is a straight line.....it should be curved.......the bird is too shallow, the back appears to be too short .

Walt

Karen:
Hi,
Just to butt in. Light Sussex are an eWh based black and white Columbian. It doesn't work if one tries to use breeding advice for eb Columbian black and white based birds back and forth between the 2 locuses. eWh is pure which to the skin with no black in the white areas. eb based Columbians, depending on how the color balancing is done, can have black stippling in the white areas. They also need color balancing in the under fluff, unlike the eWh birds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by math ace

OMG Karen, you have to slow that genetic train down!

Go Figure... My brain can calculate the volume of shape formed by rotating a line in 3D space, but it simply refuses to wrap around all the genetics.

I get the idea that what applies to one breed, won't necessarily apply to another. The under fluff of the delawares are white, so I don't know about the color balancing in the under fluff..

I am sure what you said was important, Karen, BUT you will need to break it down more for me to understand it.
hmm.png
================
Hi Math Ace,
I have been looking round for the Delaware genotype and so far, unable to find it in print. My concern was that the Delaware might be eb (brown) based. Like the Light Brahma. Since the Light Sussex is eWh (wheaten based), The colors are perfected in different ways. eb has a colored underfluff and eWh does not.
I did see from different writings around the Net, that the Delaware seems to be a barred eWh/eWh ( white , not hued underfluff) S/S (silver, as opposed to white,), Co/Co (moves the black to the neck, tail and partial on the wings), All this genetic shorthand is, is a quick way to describe the attributes of the bird. So if both breeds are eWh then there should be no problems with using the color balancing info for both breeds, except for any issues the barring would raise. I read the Delaware has white quills in all its feathers. Is that because of the barring gene?
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
The lower chest is a straight line.....it should be curved.......the bird is too shallow, the back appears to be too short .

Walt
Walt,

After looking at Vicki's Sussex, I've got a better idea of how long the back should be. Is there any way to determining when the back is long enough .

As far as chest goes, I've not noticed the cut away chest before the snap shot yesterday. I will have to double check it today because in my other photos, it looks curved.

How do I tell?

I'm not a pro, but I've seen a twisted feather. The individual feather is twisted - crooked - like a spiral. A feather out of line would be a normal formed feather that is out of place.
So look at your bird's individual feathers to determine if they are twisted or out of place.

How do I tell?

It is always like that, not just in the one photo.

I guess I will catch her and examine it closely.... a project for tomorrow morning, before I let her out of the coop
smile.png

If the feather is twisted it will look like the twist in a cork screw.....usually one twist. If it is a straight feather that looks twisted, it is probably because of the way it lines up with the other tail feathers.

Walt

Sussex Wrap Up

Just a heads up to everyone. We've been on the Sussex for over three weeks.
We'll be moving on this weekend.
Thanks to everyone for their great contribution to the Sussex discussion.

Next English Class breed up for discussion will be the Dorking, followed by the Cornish.

Course I asked you. I follow your writings a lot and learn from them. You don't give yourself enough credit. Even when you are asking questions, they are intelligent and spur conversation that I learn from. Go and ask Kathy then. She has a great rep for her knowledge in the breed. Who better to ask than someone who has recreated it and needed to know all the nuances of the breed to accomplish this successfully. Also, check the old lit in Google Books and archive.org . Once, Delaware were the big thing. At a time when many people were writing about poultry raising. Probably a lot there. Chin up, I have the same problem with Light Sussex. Very little modern info on them and very few (less than 4) other breeds with the same genotype based on eWh which I can study by comparison. Columbian Marans (based on Light Sussex cross, much less advanced than Sussex fowl); Black Tailed Jap Bantams from EU ( but have white neck, so not sure how much help there; Delawares, a barred Light Sussex genotype.
Best,
Karen
Ah, see your problem now, it's a timeline issue. They were created in 1940. The public domain lit stops in 1926. Then approved by APA in 1952 and out of favor by early 1960's. 'Pics of Kathy's birds:
http://flock-u.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1129&start=20

I think there might be an APA Standard book just for Dels as there is for the Rocks...... I'm not sure.

w.

See now, I understood EVERY single word of this post! LOL
lau.gif

I hate to bother KathyinMo right now... She is dealing with enough and may not appreciate the chicken question.
I will just wait until I see her visiting the delaware threads before I throw that question out to her.

Thanks for the compliment... I am the questioner...
caf.gif
Thank God , I have found some real patient mentors on BYC...
highfive.gif
Please do not contact KathyinMO now. She has gone back to Iowa because her grand daughter is in a diabetic coma.Hoqw she's managing to get through all of her trials I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom