CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi I breed sumatras and I have done very well with them at the shows.

Very nice birds. However, we are presently focusing on the English Class, witht the Cornish in particular in this portion.
wink.png

I've not heard this term before- will someone please explain what is meant by an "open beak?"
Since no one answered this, I'll try. I think it is when the beak doesn't close correctly, leaving a gap between the top and lower beaks. But it's not like cross beak, where the beak doesn't line up.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, so we all know what open beak means in a breed.

Last edited:
Since no one answered this, I'll try. I think it is when the beak doesn't close correctly, leaving a gap between the top and lower beaks. But it's not like cross beak, where the beak doesn't line up.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, so we all know what open beak means in a breed.

This is correct.

Walt

I made a little discovery that I thought I would share especially with all the wet weather and mosquitoes we are dealing with on the East Coast.

Bounce dryer sheets have been used by people for years to keep mosquitoes off. Despite fans, I noticed a few of those nasties flying about in my greenhouse where I have my baby brooder. The mosquitoes are still attracted by the light for the babies at night. I hung Bounce dryer sheets all around the sleeping area just to see if it would work. It DOES work. No more mosquitoes flying about, and the threat of pox much lessened for those babies, who are really not old enough to deal with it. Today the sheets go up in the sleeping coops for every body.

I also wonder if it works with fragrance free bounce? I kind of doubt it...

Anyway, question on Cornish about the bare spot on their chest. Does this happen because of very tight feathering? or is it because they grow so wide, and the feather count is the same as any other bird, leaving that spot open, like a too tight shirt?

Does any other breed have this happen to them?

Hi,
Has anyone considered starting a bantam CSU? I have found this thread very helpful, and have learned quite a bit about some of the non popular breeds that I see but never pay any attention to at shows. I would love to get some of these heritage LF especially Cubalayas, but due to where I live, I can't have them, only bantams. This thread has been very informative, but I would love to see a bantam thread of CSU as well, especially for the bantam only breeds.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I am a lurker.

Reposting because I think this was missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom