CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chestnut:

Wouldn't it be great if the SOP would refer colors to pantone colors (if anyone is into printing they would know what that meant) Pantone color charts used to be the standard for selecting a specific color. (don't know if still is)

The Pantone Matching System is still the most widely used International color matching system. It was free in the old days, but now it is very expensive. If you don't calibrate your monitor every day with their expensive software it is useless online.

Walt

The Pantone Matching System is still the most widely used International color matching system. It was free in the old days, but now it is very expensive. If you don't calibrate your monitor every day with their expensive software it is useless online.

Walt
Yes, great point!

The chart needs to be pantone printed. Unless you calibrate the monitor the colors will not match.This is a problem with egg color too but even worse since the camera also messes up the colors.

We had approached this idea with the egg chart and we decided not to go that route. We are having a professional photographer to do the honors in the egg shell shades and we are still working on it when time allowed us to take a breather in the summer. It is coming along nicely as you please.

Yes, great point!

The chart needs to be pantone printed. Unless you calibrate the monitor the colors will not match.This is a problem with egg color too but even worse since the camera also messes up the colors.

As soon as a file becomes digital it is difficult to keep it true to color.
each device is slightly different. If you look at the color in certain lights it again changes. If you drink coffee it changes. etc, etc. But....you can get close. We used a viewing booth with special lights back when I did such things. If I suspect a color is off I will take the bird outside and look at it in sunlight.

These new Hamps are supposed to be medium chestnut red and they are, but note what they look like in the shaded areas of the picture. They can look brown in a showroom with bad lighting.

Walt

Some folks have been using the Online Auction Chart. It is product with many different colors in different dilutions all numbered so that if you wanted to buy a couch and the seller said it was blue, but to your eye you would describe it as aqua there is no confusion. If both had the chart he could say which number it was and be very accurate. Its nice because it has all colors not just blues and greens like the Ameraucana egg chart.

Although I also know what color flesh is too
smile.png

I have the online color chart - the nice thing is I can say - one of my hens lays an egg that's between OAC698 and OAC699, I can even take a picture with the chart if needed. But either way, the person on the other end will have an image of exactly what that color is.

It would be really nice if the colors in the SOP could be printed in the early pages. It wouldn't require the entire pantone chart, but just the ideal shades of the colors required. I realize this would be quite an undertaking and probably not at all feasible but... it's just a thought.

To have it precise it would add at least $100.00 to the price of the book and if you leave it open to those pages it will fade. Pantone swatches fade as well.

w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom