CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tried to get both sides and a crest shot but the wind blew the crest up on the one side right as i took it. she does have dirt staining on wing feathers. Six month old hen BT bearded SIlver Lace. Dick Horstman bred.

Six month old cockerel. BT Bearded SL. Dick Horstman bred. He was not cooperating for this photo shoot. One pic he is squatted and the other stretched up too tall. The hens are much more docile. He used to be but now is acting very wild.

I have been raising polish for 4 years or so now. I show mostly bantam polish in several colors. The only LF polish I have are Buff Laced. Here are a few pictures of a couple of my young pullets. (Sorry for the lack of full body shots) They are about 4.5-5 months old in these pictures. They still have more filling out to do. I have been working with them for about 2 years now. This year I have seen an improvement in the lacing and the body size. I know a few other people that breed LF Buff Laced and they are also working on the size of the birds as well. I started out with females that were on the smaller scale for the Standard. I am happy with the improvements I've made this year, but they still need a lot of work.

I like their temperament. They are really fairly calm. I have not had an issue with aggressive rooster in LF or Bantams. I don't let any of my polish free range at all. I find their limited vision due to their crests to hinder their ability to protect themselves from overhead predators. We have a lot of hawks and owls in our area, so it just isn't worth the risk.

We have very hot summers and very cold winters living in the high desert. I worry more about them in the heat than I do in the cold.

Very nice NoseyChickens! I can see they are larger chickens in a couple of pictures. Looks like nice size on them.

Your chickens are darker then what I thought to be buff. Would your birds coloring be accepted as a standard Buff laced? (And do you sell eggs)!

BTW, my Polish are very good layers, some of the most consistent. So when they practically stopped laying eggs I finally peered in the 2' down to 1' space under the coop and there is a pile of eggs and one GL hen running around squawking at everyone so I guess I have to amend my last post to say I've had two Polish broodies. Interesting observation or pure coincidence, that the broodies have been laced birds. One Silver and now a Gold.

I also lost one of my original 9 today. She was a nice, correct bird I think. Probably the nicest crest as far as shape and uniformity of my original group and my sweetest.

RIP Lady GaGa

Very nice NoseyChickens! I can see they are larger chickens in a couple of pictures. Looks like nice size on them.

Your chickens are darker then what I thought to be buff. Would your birds coloring be accepted as a standard Buff laced? (And do you sell eggs)!

BTW, my Polish are very good layers, some of the most consistent. So when they practically stopped laying eggs I finally peered in the 2' down to 1' space under the coop and there is a pile of eggs and one GL hen running around squawking at everyone so I guess I have to amend my last post to say I've had two Polish broodies. Interesting observation or pure coincidence, that the broodies have been laced birds. One Silver and now a Gold.

I also lost one of my original 9 today. She was a nice, correct bird I think. Probably the nicest crest as far as shape and uniformity of my original group and my sweetest.

RIP Lady GaGa

The color on her Polish is the correct color. There are many buff laced Polish that are too light.

Walt

Thank you Walt. The color is so much richer then the lighter buff laced. Are the lighter BL accepted? What would be the consequences if any?
There is only one buff color/shade recognized by the ABA/APA for BLP and it is the one posted above. The lighter ones won't be DQ'd, but they won't do well in a show. They are washed out buff and usually they are not laced very well either...especially in the crest. It is very hard to get the lacing in the crest like these have.

Walt

Thank you Walt. The color is so much richer then the lighter buff laced. Are the lighter BL accepted? What would be the consequences if any?
There is only one buff color/shade recognized by the ABA/APA for BLP and it is the one posted above. The lighter ones won't be DQ'd, but they won't do well in a show. They are washed out buff and usually they are not laced very well either...especially in the crest. It is very hard to get the lacing in the crest like these have.

Walt

very interesting I did not know that
goodpost.gif

There is only one buff color/shade recognized by the ABA/APA  for BLP and it is the one posted above. The lighter ones won't be DQ'd, but they won't do well in a show. They are washed out buff and usually they are not laced very well either...especially in the crest.  It is very hard to get the lacing in the crest like these have.

Walt

Give me a minute and I'll have an example of a washed-out bird.
Okay. Hatchery hen, buff-laced Polish, at lower left. No real lacing in crest. Perhaps more accurately (?) way too much lacing which completely covers the buff color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom