CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two hatchery quality black La Flèches I will have to post some pics of them.

Just bear in mind, this is an APA Standard of Perfection thread. Posting of subpar examples for the purpose of pointing out how it is they fail to measure up to the Standard is fine. That would be the only purpose that comes to mind.

Just bear in mind, this is an APA Standard of Perfection thread. Posting of subpar examples for the purpose of pointing out how it is they fail to measure up to the Standard is fine. That would be the only purpose that comes to mind.
Except, at this point, Hatchery stock may match up pretty well to current stock. Currently breeders are few and far between. Most of the ones I've run into(including myself) have just gotten started in them. The ones I got this past week are nice, but definitely have some improvements to make.

I'll try for more photos later into the week. These are birds I got from a young Bostonian. The size is not as bad as I had imagined, the type is actually REALLY nice on them. I'm very happy with the birds I got from him. Things I am going to work on with them, combs and size. Getting them to 9lbs is going to take years and years of culling large numbers. The combs on most seem to be uniform, a few had less than ideal combs but I've culled them. I'll make sure to get pictures of combs.

Last edited:
Except, at this point, Hatchery stock may match up pretty well to current stock. Currently breeders are few and far between. Most of the ones I've run into(including myself) have just gotten started in them. The ones I got this past week are nice, but definitely have some improvements to make.

Good point. Very good point. However, the focus remains the Standard, of course and this is an educational thread. Thanks for participating, everyone!!

Some pictures of the various females. Again, soon, I will get better images. I'll likely measure them up with a micrometer to get a good idea of body width. The hens all have nice flat backs. Which is encouraging.

Interesting notes on La Flèche when examining against the Standard:

Combs are allocated 10 points instead of 5 on the point scale. Proportionally deducted from other parts of the bird. I am still unsure as to how this system works, I would really like Walt's input on how points are deducted. Is the deduction from the Numerator? Or the Denominator?

Beak color in all birds(to my knowledge) is only 1 point. La Flèche have an odd beak color description. Black WITH an additional portion of flesh where beak and nostril meet. I take it this is an all or nothing. But is not contributed towards type, only color.

When most people think of Continental they imagine light breeds. But La Flèche has the same weights as Faverolles, Crevecoeur, and Houdans. 8LB for Cock Bird and 6½ for Hen Birds. I feel as though most of the French birds have suffered from this mindset. Obviously some are doing better than others. But by no means are French birds light. They should be similar in size to the American and English Breeds.(And this is going to be the main emphasis of my breedings in the years to come)

Last edited:
Hey Daniel this guy here cgmccary is a La Fletch man if you already don't know that? maybe PM him and invite him to share here he is a knowledgeable poulterer too.
just trying to fill the field LOL

an that's all I got LOL

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom