Cuckoo araucana - pullet or roo?

Jan 10, 2023
I just purchased 2 lovely 14 week cuckoo araucanas but I'm a bit suspicious on this one which I'm hoping is a pullet. What do you guys think - pullet or rooster?
Some of the others from the same hatch were sporting long tail feathers. Note this is an Australian araucana with a tail.

Attachments

• 20230128_115016.jpg
    20230128_115016.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230128_114928.jpg
    20230128_114928.jpg
    941.3 KB · Views: 13
I just purchased 2 lovely 14 week cuckoo araucanas but I'm a bit suspicious on this one which I'm hoping is a pullet. What do you guys think - pullet or rooster?
Some of the others from the same hatch were sporting long tail feathers. Note this is an Australian araucana with a tail.
I think you got Duped. Australian Araucanas have a Crest, which your's doesn't.

Lovely Cuckoo Easter Egger.

She's a pullet.

Variability sounds like they were either project birds, or Easter Eggers. Australian Araucanas should breed true.
I think what's available in our State wouldn't win any show awards so you're probably correct about their breeding lineage. Hopefully they will still have blue eggs.
From memory the "pure" lavender araucana chicks I bought don't have crests either. Unless they develop later?

I think what's available in our State wouldn't win any show awards so you're probably correct about their breeding lineage. Hopefully they will still have blue eggs.
From memory the "pure" lavender araucana chicks I bought don't have crests either. Unless they develop later?
They may lay blue, or possibly green.

Crests are normally noticeable at 6 weeks of age, when mostly to fully feathered out.

Back
Top Bottom