Cuckoo Bluebar...

Pics
EEEEK I am so sorry that I have missed this thread up until now!

I will have some pictures of some of our teenager CBB tomorrow.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions I saw in this post:

1. The breed true as B/B/S.

2. They are all barred. The offspring of these birds will also all be barred.

3. They are not auto-sexing, however like most barred birds, you can take an educated guess about the size of the dot on their head.

4. If you aren't comfortable Dot sexing you can easily sex them at a few weeks old. The roosters get HUGE combs.

5. We find that they are on the lighter end of the Large Fowl scale and are excellent foragers. We have so far found them to be very hardy and tough.

6. They will all have straight combs.

If I missed anything PLEASE let me know. I'll get some good pictures for y'all tomorrow.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Alex,
What are they a cross of?
Maureen

Hi All
Here are photos of our six, hatched from eggs on the kitchen counter. Only 1 ended up being a roo. As mentioned previously, we've raised at least 8 to 10

batches of chicks of various breeds and these have been the strongest/healthiest. Can't wait to see what the eggs look like and

whether or not they're really prolific layers of large blue eggs.

I love these pictures! They are stunning.

Alex,
What are they a cross of?
Maureen
Maureen,
I'm sorry, specific breeding "recipes" are Top Secret Proprietary information that I'm not allowed to share.
duc.gif

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Maureen, 
I'm sorry, specific breeding "recipes" are Top Secret Proprietary information that I'm not allowed to share. :duc  

Alex
My Pet Chicken

We would love to see pictures of eggs the cross females are currently laying. We are all very excited to see how blue the eggs are. This could be a great breed to enhance an existing breeding program of blue egg layers.

Maureen,
I'm sorry, specific breeding "recipes" are Top Secret Proprietary information that I'm not allowed to share.
duc.gif

Alex
My Pet Chicken

That's fine and yes, we purchased 6 eggs. All hatched. Can we cross breed these or are they brother and sister? (Thus, not good to breed together.)

That's fine and yes, we purchased 6 eggs. All hatched. Can we cross breed these or are they brother and sister? (Thus, not good to breed together.)

This is a fairly large breeding pen with unrelated roosters and hens. There is a slight chance that they are related, however many breeders do breed closely related stock back to each other the first generation. After that, you will need or get "new" blood. I always look for new rooster to make adding new genetics a lot easier at my small farm.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Thank you for this advice, Alex. We also have a small farm (in Maine). We raise 3 types of rare breed poultry and sell eggs. Cream Legbars, French Black Copper Marans & Black Marans ( both Bev Davis) and now your new Cuckoo Bluebars! About 34 birds. With your permission I will send you photos & a link in about a week.
Happy New Year
Maureen

Thank you for this advice, Alex. We also have a small farm (in Maine). We raise 3 types of rare breed poultry and sell eggs. Cream Legbars, French Black Copper Marans & Black Marans ( both Bev Davis) and now your new Cuckoo Bluebars! About 34 birds. With your permission I will send you photos & a link in about a week.
Happy New Year
Maureen
I would LOVE to see pictures and a link. I think you will be very happy with the CBB.
We love Marans around here and are really excited about our Birchen Marans that came straight from Jean Wade in GA.
ya.gif

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Back
Top Bottom