Cuckoo Maran vs Barred Rock

ggrap

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Colorado
Hi. Anyone have a quick way to spot the difference between a Cuckoo Maran and a Barred Rock chick? My daughter mixed them up and I am selling some of them to others! And boy they look a lot alike. It does seem the CM has more yellow on the face an chest.

Thanks!

Here is a pic of my barred rock chicks. They had little white spots on their heads and look like they had little white diapers from behind.
Hope you can figure it out.

49043_img_2701.jpg

My husband came home today with EE, BR and SLW. There is a mystery chick in the group. It is suppose to be SLW but it definitely does not look like the other 4.

This chick is black...none of the white markings like the other SLW and no dot on its head like BR. It has white markings over its ears and wings are sort of grayish.

It is the smallest chick in the 11 he brought home...could it be a EE??

Peggy

Cuckoo Marans should have black to black based pink legs and feet (in good quality they should just be pink though) Barred Rocks have yellow legs/feet.

Um, my Barred Rock chick has black legs...
hu.gif
I tell the difference between it and my Marans chicks by the fact that my Marans have feathered legs and no head dot, and the BR has clean legs and the white dot. Plus the BR is MUCH calmer than the Marans.

Quote:
The "head dot" is on both BR and CM - It's just a cuckoo feature in chicks, and if the dot is big enough, means it is a male. Another thing is that when the chicks mature, the Cuckoo Marans females will be very dark looking.

i have a baby Silver Cuckoo Marans named Cricket. she's only 5 days old and looks a lot like a barred rock. her legs are blackish...but toes are yellow. she's sweet! she will sit in my hand and spend time with me without freaking out. i'll post her pic.....but this is when she was 1 - 2 days old and i don't know how much u can see to compare....she DOES have white at the top of her head, but not much. (it's a thumb nail pic...so click it)

Last edited:
I had ordered barred rocks from a hatchery and thought they looked funny and laid wayyy late...plus most of the pullets are much darker than the cockerel...the barring in not barring but more a spotty look and the pullet combs, at 32 weeks, are much smaller than a barred rock. I did expect to have a less than perfect BR flock, coming from a hatchery....but?????? My pullets, especially, look more like the Cuckoo Marans than the Barred Rocks....IDK....sigh!!!

I think I might have gotten either a mixed breed of cuckoo marans and barred rock, or Dominique and barred rock....as they really do NOT look like the old barred rocks I used to raise at all!!!

I read up some on the marans and seems they do look very similar to the Doms and BR's and it's common to end up with a mix, since years ago, with the breeding they did, some of the marans no longer have the leg feathering either....

I have NO idea what kind of hatchery chicken I have, but think I have been had by the hatchery. I bought them from Hoffman Hatchery in Penn. Anyone have any dealings with them?

I would kinda like to know what kind of chicken I have though!

Thank goodness I am getting Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks and Heritage Dominiques in the spring!!!!!

If I put up some pictures, could anyone tell what breed these current chickens are that I have gotten? They are 32 weeks now...would that help?

Thanks for any info of help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom