Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans?

SimpleLyfe

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 24, 2015
North Central NC
IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg

I purchased heritage breed Barred Rock hatching eggs off ebay from a highly rated seller. I recently came across a thread on BYC that Barred Rocks have yellow feet while Cuckoo Marans have gray/pale. Only 2 hatched out of the handful of eggs I received. They both are 8 weeks old. So far one has yellow and one has pale/gray feet as seen from the pictures. Do I have two different breeds here? Also what do you think the sex of these two are?
Thank you!

I don’t think they are either. Both Marans and Rocks have single combs. These look to have a totally different type of comb. I honestly think they look like mixes of some kind. :oops:

Hello!

I don’t think those are barred rocks… neither of them have single combs. Cuckoo marans also have single combs, so I’m not sure it’s that either. Dominiques have rose combs, but I can’t tell if your chicks do or not… It’s also possible that they are mixes of some kind.

As far as gender goes, they both look like cockerels to me. :)

They could be Dominiques, it doesn’t look like they have a straight comb unless I am that blind on my phone. Dominiques have yellow legs like the second bird. I think they might be mixes. Wondering if some barred rock hens got fertilized by a sneaky roo…

Back
Top Bottom