Cuckoo Marans chick sexing?

I've read through this thread and still confused!
1f606.png
I bought 2 cuckoo Marans about 1 1/2 half weeks ago. They were labeled pullets and it was explained to me that girls have a white spot on the head, that's how they knew. Anyway, one is feathering much faster. The wings are longer as are tail feathers. Does that mean I have a roo or do girls sometime develop differently than each other? Your hen turned out beautiful! I'm looking forward to chocolate brown eggs!

I have a cuckoo Maran that I am thinking is a roo. Sold as pullet. I wanted to get a rooster so if he/she turns out to be a roo I will be happy.
The first 2 pictures are current (3 1/2 weeks old) and the last one is when it was 1 week old.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have a cuckoo Maran that I am thinking is a roo. Sold as pullet. I wanted to get a rooster so if he/she turns out to be a roo I will be happy.
The first 2 pictures are current (3 1/2 weeks old) and the last one is when it was 1 week old.

Hey all, any thoughts on my suspected cuckoo marans cross? I'm calling it a "she". Very calm, loves to cuddle, not aggressive with the other chicks I have, and while the comb is a bit large, it's not red and I don't see wattles. Chick is about 5 weeks old. She's a super sweetie, so hoping for a hen!

Thanks!

AKfishchic- I'm certainly no expert but I've had a Cuckoo Marans hen before (she was taken by a bobcat last winter
sad.png
) and I'm pretty sure yours is a girl. On males, there is usually more light-colored barring - almost like white striping but not quire. The barring on females looks more like grayish speckles- like yours.
Also- if you look at the pictures above yours, the comb on that 3 week old cockerel is already pinkish red, and yours is not.

I'v also done a ton of reading on this lately because I'm pretty sure the new chick I just got is male. She's (?) 10 days old, and to me it looks like the barring on her feathers (?) is lighter and more in stripey lines. She's also getting these interesting looking feathers on the tops of her wings that I don't remember our other female chick having. Ugh- it's so hard to guess when they're this age.
Anyone out there have any guesses?

I have four cuckoo marans chicks. I have noticed the wings on two have really bright white feather tips while on the other two the feather tips are dark with no white. They are one week old. The difference is very dramatic. Would this be an indication of gender?

Back
Top Bottom