cuckoo marans x black copper marans

1 Bad Rotti

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
I recently acquired a cuckoo marans rooster and a black copper marans hen, they are both of the French lines. My question is should I breed them, if so what will I get, or should I find them each a mate of their own?

A Cuckoo Marans rooster over a Black Copper hen should give you all barred babies. If I am incorrect I hope someone will come by and correct me and give you the right answer. Happy Turkey Day!!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Thats correct, you would get all Cuckoo Marans and they would probably have red leakage. I believe the Golden Cuckoo Marans are Barred Black Coppers, but I'm not completely sure about that, but either way you wouldnt quite get the real Golden Cuckoos as F1s but they should be something close.

Cuckoos are basically Extended Black,Barred & Silver
BCs are Birchen,unbarred & Gold

Your cross breds will look like Cuckoos with gold leakage and will be
heterozygous Extended Black/Birchen; Barred/unbarred; Silver/gold (cockerels) & hemizygous silver
pullets.

Quote:
You're missing the mahogany part too.
wink.png
They're not just a gold birchen. . .

Also, one thing you really must watch out for is your Cuckoo's lines. He will likely ruin the egg color, not only because crossing colors with Marans can do that, but because few Cuckoos out there have good color to begin with.

You're missing the mahogany part too. wink They're not just a gold birchen. . .

Correct, & also additional melanisers, but they are not really relevant to the thread.

I believe the Golden Cuckoo Marans are Barred Black Coppers, but I'm not completely sure about that, but either way you wouldn't quite get the real Golden Cuckoos as F1s but they should be something close.

Not correct, the true Golden Cuckoo is a duckwing, really a Crele (barred wildtype black breasted red male & a barred salmon breasted stippled hen) ,the psuedo Golden Cuckoo ,based on Birchen ,would be a crow-wing.​

"Not correct, the true Golden Cuckoo is a duckwing, really a Crele (barred wildtype black breasted red male & a barred salmon breasted stippled hen) ,the psuedo Golden Cuckoo ,based on Birchen ,would be a crow-wing."
Hi,
Does anyone have any True Golden Cuckoo as David described above? I am seeking a male of any age or eggs. Must be as described above.
Thanks so much,
Karen Tewart
[email protected]

I've got a FBCM roo over 3 Golden Cuckoo Hens right now. Should be fun to see what I get with their eggs on my NYD hatch.

If the parents are correctly bred you will get crow wing psuedo Golden Cuckoo cockerels, & pullets that resemble BCs.

Back
Top Bottom