Cuckoo marans

These are my Cuckoo Marans at 7 weeks old, I ordered all girls but it looks as though I have some boys in this breed? I am new at this but #1 and #4 look suspicious to me.

There all boys the hens are a more solid black

Last edited:
They do look like all boys. the barring isnt messy enough for a girl, and the color is too light. the redness in the combs so early would be another flag too.

I have two pullets. I bought them from a local woman who has many different breeds. I almost bought a CM rooster but I don't really want any roosters. They are very aloof birds. Too young to lay yet.

By the way, I caught all four of them all crowing the other day and had to sell a couple of them. I think the hatchery pulled from the wrong bin, they gave me a refund for their mistake. I receive them on June 8, in case anyone else ordered may have had the same thing happen to them on that day.

I believe I have a rooster here. Just want some confirmation. He is about 12 weeks old. The top picture shows the pullet that came with him (he is in the back and lighter in color). I had ordered two pullets (4 week old) to lessen the chance of a rooster.

Here is one of my cuckoo roosters at the same 12 weeks old. Quite a bit lighter than the girls behind him, but not even as light as yours, I'm guessing yours is a boy. Out of curiosity what type of chick is in the picture with the white head, salmon chest and grey back end? Very cute.

Thanks for the confirmation. I believe the hen you are referring to is our "Coco" who is a Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam.

I was given a cuckoo marans hen a couple months ago, I have suspicions that it could be a rooster. I have no idea how old & haven't seen it crow or lay an egg yet. Also, can a cuckoo marans have gold & green flecks in it? I'm seeing a little show through & wondering if its even a cuckoo marans at this point, but I'm new to the breed & fairly clueless.

Back
Top Bottom