Cull or not?

Missadiellis

Chirping
Aug 8, 2021
I have a button quail chick with curled toes. Taping them is impossible, he’s too small and I can’t hold him still enough without hurting him. He eats and drinks on his own. Currently giving him electrolytes and getting B2 tomorrow. He was last to hatch and needed help.

I have a button quail chick with curled toes. Taping them is impossible, he’s too small and I can’t hold him still enough without hurting him. He eats and drinks on his own. Currently giving him electrolytes and getting B2 tomorrow. He was last to hatch and needed help.
I would not cull him, he seems to be doing fine and it is not his fault he has curled toes. Maybe when he is older you can try taping them?

Photos?

Oh, a TINY baby. Do you have someone that can help hold him for you?
I'd try taping as shown in the photos of the post below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curled-up-chick-toes.1139759/post-17697924

I think I would cull him.

1. Last to hatch.
2. Needed help.
3. Birth defect. Strike three.

Not a bird you want reproducing the next generation. Culling isn’t about punishing a bird for something it can’t help or doing a mercy killing for something that’s in pain. Its about removing genetically undesirable birds from the reproductive pool. Sometimes doing what’s best for the flock is in direct conflict with what’s best for the individual. My vote would be put the flock first.

IMG_5789.jpeg

I think I would cull him.

1. Last to hatch.
2. Needed help.
3. Birth defect. Strike three.

Not a bird you want reproducing the next generation. Culling isn’t about punishing a bird for something it can’t help or doing a mercy killing for something that’s in pain. Its about removing genetically undesirable birds from the reproductive pool. Sometimes doing what’s best for the flock is in direct conflict with what’s best for the individual. My vote would be put the flock first.
What if I don’t plan on breeding him? These are just pets.

Back
Top Bottom