Cull?

down2earth

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2022
Bloomsburg, PA
Hi I have a question for you. I noticed everyone uses the word cull. I know it means kill because you can't save it for various reasons.

I just started this year breeding. I had one misshap. My 3 month old injured its leg. I've been bringing it to a vet for weeks now and put quite alot of money into it. It's not better it's basically crippled. I don't think it's life will be good so I've decided to put it down. I'm bringing it to the vet to do this.
When you all use the cull word how are you doing this? Especially with an older bird. This is a hard or maybe a stupid question to ask.

"Cull" means to select for removal, not necessarily to kill.

One can cull from the breeding flock by separating those birds from the breeders, while allowing them to continue their productive lives (as, for instance, layers). Or, one can end them for freezer camp. Or simply rehome. and plenty of other options.

Yes, culling is often for purpose of either filling the larder/reducing flock size or to remove weak/injured birds, but it does not mean "to kill", though the two puposes (selection and dispatch) are often part of the same chain of events.

and I use a very SHARP knife, bird suspended upside down, its head in my hand - I don't recommend my method for others. It requires a VERY sharp knife, as I'm going to decapitate with a single draw stroke. It requires absolute confidence - this isn't something you want to pause half way thru. and frankly, it takes an emotional place more clinical than many can reach.

Back
Top Bottom