Culled rooster: Liver hard, grey, with tiny yellowish spots.

I just wouldn't risk it. It seems a little suspicious with the liver looking so strange and noticing that a pic of a bird's liver that had avian flu looked similar. Please just throw out the chicken or compost it, it isn't worth the possibility of avian flu. Also, as for treating your flock, if you are starting over with JG's I wouldn't worry. When you process your first ones, just check their livers. Also, why not just give on of the other twenty processed birds to your friend?
Best of luck,
Leaf

He didn't have any symptoms of AI. And I don't think AI is transmissible to humans? At least, not the strains seen in the US.

As for why I don't give any of the other birds I've processed? Well, we've eaten the ones I've butchered in the past. This rooster was the only one I butchered this time.

With everyone else looking healthy, and this guy being a hatchery bird, I'm beginning to lean towards this one had some kind of hepatic defect from the start. Especially since I didn't spot a gall bladder.

Oh I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant you had culled the other Roos along with or after this one. AI is in fact transmissible to humans, though not in properly cooked foods. A little undercooked though...well I just wouldn't risk it....but it's your choice

Quote: I was going to ask about maybe a genetic issue being a hatchery bird, but I didn't want to insult anyone. All of mine came from a hatchery (I didn't realize it, I'm still learning things), and I had 1 die at 3wks who obviously had something neurological going on (she couldn't even lay down, she slept standing and was just "off" but I hoped she would live, she just didn't), and another I had to get rid of because he was just crazy.

How big were the spots on his liver? Any chance it could have been blackhead (histomoniasis)? Odd looking liver and odd looking cecal pouch makes me think blackhead.

-Kathy

How big were the spots on his liver? Any chance it could have been blackhead (histomoniasis)? Odd looking liver and odd looking cecal pouch makes me think blackhead.

-Kathy

The spots were pin-point. Tiny. But they were throughout the entire liver, and perhaps at most 6 mm apart. I realized I have a photo, but it didn't pick up the color properly. Let me try and get that photo posted in a few mins.

And, rest assured, the chicken hasn't been eaten by anyone. Except the dog, who ate the heart and gizzard and so far is just fine.

Edited to add the photo

This is the inside of the liver after I'd cut into the center. What should be glossy, smooth, floppy and red ... isn't.

Last edited:
Well that doesn't look like any blackhead livers I've seen. Maybe you should send that picture to the avian pathology dept. in WA? I sure would like to know what they think it is.

-Kathy

Ah, well, if you're stumped...
Seriously. I saw you'd popped on to this thread and thought "Oh! Someone who might have some first hand info!"

I like your idea of sending this off to the state's avian pathology dept. If we can afford it, I'll go ahead and do that.

Back
Top Bottom