Culling a 4 week old, UPDATE

I hate to ask, but don't want to take chances......should I stretch the neckout with one hand while I do it and are there any tips. Geez, this going to be hard.....

If you're using sharp shears, just snip the head off right under the skull. I suppose it is easier if you stretched the neck out some. You can always just "stretch it's neck" by pulling and twisting hard on the head part of the neck to cervically dislocate it and essentially put it down that way. If the bird flops around right away, the job is done.

If you lay it on its back it will go to sleep a be a bit calmer when you do it. My brother does that, then they are held upside down ( still asleep), and then he just does the job as quick as possible with something as sharp as possible. I doubt the bird even knew what was coming.

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
Just curious "le neige homme"... what is the difference and why does this seem so important to you? ... I have seen you post this before... help us understand your point.

Not meaning to jump in and answer for le neige homme
hide.gif
and/or hijack kittyacid`s post....
but I have questioned the use of "culling" in cases of illness myself.

There is a difference and I wonder if we tend to use the term culling exclusively because many of us are raising our flocks as livestock so it does have a management focus.

Wikipedia definitions...
Culling is the process of removing animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done in order to either reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. For livestock and wildlife, the process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics.

Animal euthanasia (from the Greek meaning "good death") is the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, an animal suffering from an incurable, esp. a painful, disease or condition.[1] Euthanasia methods are designed to cause minimal pain and distress. Euthanasia is distinct from animal slaughter and pest control, which are performed for purposes other than an act of mercy, although in some cases the killing procedure is the same.

For me and in regards to my chickens... culling is management, euthanasia is responding to pain or illness when my ability to interveine or provide treatment is not a viable or humane option.

Whatever word we use I still have an emotionally difficult time doing it and usually rely on DH.
sad.png

hugs.gif
to you kittyacid for having the wisdom to learn the most effective way and the courage to follow through on what you feel is the most humane solution for your chick.​

Mrs. Feathers :

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
Just curious "le neige homme"... what is the difference and why does this seem so important to you? ... I have seen you post this before... help us understand your point.

Not meaning to jump in and answer for le neige homme
hide.gif
and/or hijack kittyacid`s post....
but I have questioned the use of "culling" in cases of illness myself.

There is a difference and I wonder if we tend to use the term culling exclusively because many of us are raising our flocks as livestock so it does have a management focus.

Wikipedia definitions...
Culling is the process of removing animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done in order to either reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. For livestock and wildlife, the process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics.

Animal euthanasia (from the Greek meaning "good death") is the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, an animal suffering from an incurable, esp. a painful, disease or condition.[1] Euthanasia methods are designed to cause minimal pain and distress. Euthanasia is distinct from animal slaughter and pest control, which are performed for purposes other than an act of mercy, although in some cases the killing procedure is the same.

For me and in regards to my chickens... culling is management, euthanasia is responding to pain or illness when my ability to interveine or provide treatment is not a viable or humane option.

Whatever word we use I still have an emotionally difficult time doing it and usually rely on DH.
sad.png

hugs.gif
to you kittyacid for having the wisdom to learn the most effective way and the courage to follow through on what you feel is the most humane solution for your chick.

Thank you for the clarification... for myself then, I never cull, I euthanize... but, either way, it is hard and my heart goes out to kittyacid.
sad.png

I have never culled a bird before, and like the previous poster, rely on DH to do the deed. I have read posts on this subject, and I believe decapitation is fastest, and instant, although very "hands on" and difficult for the administrator. But if you cant handle it, then search BYC for culling. I have read things about freezing (which I think is not quick OR painless, to say the least) I have read various methods of gassing be it with toxic chemicals or carbon dioxide ( I believe there was vinegar and baking soda involved)

My suggestion is to just do it, get it over with. Know you did a service to this animal if it was doomed to a long slow road of suffering and ultimate death. Honor the spirit of the bird and the spirit of nature, and know that you as a human that took on the responsibility of domestic animals also took responsibility for their well being be it life or death. This is the responsible thing to do, and your duty. But it never hurts to bow your head and take a breath to humbly acknowledge the circle of life and your place in it( and this chicks place too)

When its all over, pour a glass of wine and feel better knowing the suffering has ended and you just became a more merciful and stronger person because you did it.

Its never easy to make this decision, or follow through with it, especially for tender hearted folks that truly care for their animals, be they livestock or pets. Good luck, and positive thoughts coming your way.

Thank you for the hugs, support and advice. I was prepared this morning with a newly sharpened pair of shears, a xanax and a pile of mealworms. The plan was to take him outside in the grass, put the mealworms down and while he was focused on those I was going to swiftly make the move. Instead, I put him in the grass and he hobbled along looking happy to be in the grass, pecking at things. I couldn't do it.
idunno.gif

I don't know how to make the call and posted a thread this morning about the potential for richness in the life of a crippled rooster. He has one good leg, one that bows outward from the hock that only allows him to use one toe, the botched attempt I made to fix his slipped tendon, which I feel very guilty about.

So, I have the method decided, now it is the question of 'should I' that I struggle with.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cynthia (Speckledhen) has a cripped rooster, and he is two or three years old now, and is very healthy. If you have the time to give him a pen for himself or him and a gentle hen then go for it ... but killing in this situation is also appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom