Curled toe?

popsicle

Songster
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Looking at the mountains in MT
I have 11 poults of various breeds/colors that are almost two weeks old now. They've been eating turkey starter since the day they arrived.

My lone Auburn poult has had an assortment of issues--including splay-leg (spraddel leg, whatever)--and now it's got one toe that is curled.

I had a BBW turkey earlier this year that had the same issue. Basically, it looks like the middle toe of one foot was dislocated/broken and re-set itself sideways. It looks like it happens at the most-distal joint.

Is this a nutrition issue? Injury? Would splinting it help?

I've never seen it in turkeys yet, but vitamin supplements added to the water always cute it in chicks. But I usually do the vitamins in the first week since the spraddle legs and curled toes are usually present at hatch. I'm not sure if it's too late, but it's worth a try.

I had a 5 easterns that were give to me three of the 5 had toes that weren't straight, I've "heard" its due to improper incubation. I got em the day they were hatched and they are almost 6 weeks old and their toes are still crooked but they get around fine. I've supplied viatims and so forth but it hasn't helped,but they don't seem to be handicapped or uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom