Current flock not accepting new chicken!

RLynn

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
How long does it take to integrate a new chicken with an existing flock? I have quarantined my new chicken for multiple weeks, then started putting her in a crate next to my existing flocks run to get them used to each other. Did this for about 2 weeks. Then put the crate in the run. Then supervised free range time and a little time in the run together. My existing flock just chases her off. I know there will be a little pecking, but will they ever accept her? Anything else I can do to make this a smoother transition. The new chicken is about 16 weeks old, my other chickens are roughly 24 weeks. All are roughly the same size. Any advice is appreciated!

How long does it take to integrate a new chicken with an existing flock? I have quarantined my new chicken for multiple weeks, then started putting her in a crate next to my existing flocks run to get them used to each other. Did this for about 2 weeks. Then put the crate in the run. Then supervised free range time and a little time in the run together. My existing flock just chases her off. I know there will be a little pecking, but will they ever accept her? Anything else I can do to make this a smoother transition. The new chicken is about 16 weeks old, my other chickens are roughly 24 weeks. All are roughly the same size. Any advice is appreciated!
If no blood is shed, she is going to be fine. Also, what breed is she?

I would set up multiple feeders and waterers. This also happened to Puffle, whom was sick for a month. The entire flock forgot about her. After a few weeks, she now has been integrated. Once your bird is older, the flock would accept her better. It took about 1-2 months for my birds to blend in.

If no blood is shed, she is going to be fine. Also, what breed is she?

I would set up multiple feeders and waterers. This also happened to Puffle, whom was sick for a month. The entire flock forgot about her. After a few weeks, she now has been integrated. Once your bird is older, the flock would accept her better. It took about 1-2 months for my birds to blend in.
The new chicken I have is a Light Brahma, so I know she will be in the bigger size. No bloodshed just a peck and a little chase then they leave her alone. I feel bad because I can tell the new chicken wants to be part of the group, but they keep chasing her away. That’s reassuring that it’s not hopeless.

Once they're all laying they'll probably form a single flock.

Right now you've got a middle school student trying to join the high school girls' clique.
x2. It's not only because you're adding 1 new bird, it's also their ages - you're adding a teen to young adults, basically. Once the newcomer is old enough to lay that should help smooth things out between her and the others.

In the meantime having an extra feeder and/or waterer or two will help, as will extra clutter to provide hiding spots if she should need it. Otherwise, as long as she can eat and drink and no blood is shed, I'd consider it a success.

Back
Top Bottom