Current law ok, but want to change it

My3Monkeys

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
The city in which I live already has a poulty law that is somewhat reasonable:

(2) Poultry and rabbits, including their house, building or pen, or any part thereof, shall not be kept closer than thirty (30) feet to any side, rear or front lot line of the lot or tract of ground upon which they are located. In the case of livestock, no closer than fifty (50) feet.

However, it is quite restrictive and doesn't mention the $40 permit fee (which may actually need to be renewed annually). Our lot is .59 of an acre but it is long, skinny and angles from a wider ard in front to a narrower one in back. Upon looking at my survey, legally I could put the coop in my backyard, right outside my back door, placing it close to my home and my neighbors homes. That would be acceptable with the current law. What I would like to do is convert an existing shed that is quite a ways back in the yard, putting the chicken area at least 100 feet from any house, however this placement puts it only about 7 feet from the property line on the one side.

My question is, should I try to go about having the law itself changed or try to get some sort of exemption from the law? Has anyone been sucessful doing so? If you are trying to change and existing law, do you suggest an alternative?​

Where I live, if we had a regulation like that, and were able to get the agreement of the property owner whose line is 7 feet away, the commission in all likelihood would grant a variance. It would be best if that property owner went to the commission meeting with you.

In these parts, you would discuss with the zoning enforcement officer, and he would assist you with the paperwork that would be submitted to the zoning board of appeals. The same document where you found the regulations should describe the appeals process for your community.

Back
Top Bottom