Current Opinions on Moving Birds

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
Have just finished the coop I started back in April, but wonder how I should go about making the transfer of 12 chickens (one roo and 11 mixed brown egg layers, 18-20 months old) and keep stress to a minimum. That is, my stress as well as the birds! I know dusk is a good time to get them with minimal fussiness, right after they have roosted for the evening. But I am curious about the reaction the will have at dawn, waking up in strange surroundings all of a sudden. I know it is common to have a stop in laying, feather picking, not eating, etc when jolted out of housing they have been in over 1.5 yrs. What should I look for? What are causes for concern? I want the birds to re-coop-erate quickly (get it?...) and be healthy at this stressful time. Thanks for your help!!

Quote:
Yup, as Flockwatcher said, they will be fine. Your concerns are mostly unfounded. Even as their surroundings change, all else will be familiar, like food, water, you. Those constants make for a very smooth transition. Don`t worry......Pop

Just go out there first thing in the morning and give them treats in the coop and run. Food always makes any place a great place!
big_smile.png

I wanted to add that the last time I moved some chickens, I just lured them to the new run with treats. They followed me right in. Mine recognize the treat container and will follow it any where we lead. If yours aren't trained, yet, just start using the same treat container and give them a little treat out of it every day. They catch on quick.

Last edited:
Yup, they will adjust within a few days. But for those few days they will pace the fence trying to get back to the old home.

Also, if you have roosters, move them LAST. Otherwise they sound the alarm and freak everyone else out. (learned this the hard way)

Quote:
I found that out, too! But luckily I moved them at dusk so the fuss was minimal. They did well the next morning. I checked on them and they were all congregating in the center under the roosts except one EE that was ON the roost! I was relieved.

Quote:
I found that out, too! But luckily I moved them at dusk so the fuss was minimal. They did well the next morning. I checked on them and they were all congregating in the center under the roosts except one EE that was ON the roost! I was relieved.

Glad it went well!
smile.png

We got a couple of flocks two weeks ago. One was fine because they came with the coop we bought so although the surrounding were different they essentially had their home. The other went from a coop they were always penned up in to free-ranging and a temporary home in a brooder box (BIG box) to a temporary coop to, last night, the main coop. They've been fine with it all. egg production drops off a bit the next day (sex links) but a couple of days later they're always laying well again.

Back
Top Bottom