Cut toe

Trixieflower

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
East Quogue, NY
Our partridge rock cut the top of her middle toe about a week ago. It seemed to be healing, but we noticed fresh blood on it today and she was pecking at it. Should we leave it alone or is there something we should do to help it heal? We are new chicken owners, so any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have used a product called "Rooster Peck no More" which is a brown goey ointment with tea tree oil, aloe and other healing properties. It is specifically for bloodied areas on a chicken. You smear some on the open wound or cut and it tastes terrible so the other chickens will not peck at the wound. I have used this quite sucessfully for minor pecks, scrapes, etc. Warning....it will stain your hands, your clothes and your birds.....but it works well. I buy this at my feed store.
Hope this helps you.

Just so it can heal I'd apply a antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin and just a band-aid wrapped around the toe and if their pecking at it their are different sprays ointments and goos you can get to apply so the other birds won't peck at it one that I've heard good things about is Blu-Kote.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom