Cutting Down Numbers

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
Most of our flock is really old hens that aren't in lay. And although I feel awful about it, we need to cull some. My Grandmother says that thre is no point in feeding birds that don't do anything. We will be adding a rooster soon, off topic but do you have any suggestions/pros and cons between Gold Laced Wyandotte and Silver Laced Wyandotte?
We have two old Barred Rocks that have weirdly light combs, and are either sitting or staggering. Should I get rid of the old birds? I keep telling myself that they can't have much time left, and I should just let them live out the rest of their days, but feed is about $40 a week. I'm really quite torn, advice would be much appreciated.

It's really a personal decision. Some don't mind supporting non contributing flock members, others are kerping a flock with production the driving force and dont keep freeloaders past their most productive time (first two laying cycles). I'm on the no freeloader camp, because I am extremely limited on the numbers I cam keep so I need too make the most ou'd the birds I have

Off topic, but, how many birds are you feeding that feed it's running $40 a week? Unless you are running a significant number of birds and/or paying a premium for feed you are likely losing feed to pests or waste. Food for thought.

How old are the oldest hens?
I was going to make a suggestion till I saw you were in the southern hemisphere.
So your older hens are either molting and out of lay because you are after your summer solstice (hence the pale combs) and likely won't lay again till well after your winter solstice.
There is no difference between either Wyandotte rooster, just your color preference. Regardless of color variety, breed characteristics should be the same.

The oldest hens are nearly eight years old.
They are moulting at the moment.
We buy food from a feed mill.
The food is:
Layer Pellets
Kibbled Maize
Barley Maize And Mollases

We have about 25 hens, and my lovely hen darling has four ducklings that are near fully feathered.

Moulters wouldn't be expected lay.
Eight years is certainly getting close to the end of their productive life. But if you like the hens, they may reward you with a few eggs next summer if healthy. You will be putting a lot of feed into them over the next 6 months for no eggs. That's what stewing hens are for.

One of the two oldest hens, Speckles looks like a rooster. She has a long curved tail and saddle feathers, but she had laid an egg.

The other one Frosty, babysits the ducklings while Darling has a dust bathe, or goes for a mealworm with her two best friends, Annie and Chess. How long is the average chicken's life?

If they are kept predator free with big ventilation, excellent nutrition, they can live well over 10 years and even still lay eggs.
With all the predators we have, they haven't lived over 8 years here. But those birds were still laying.

I'm curious how much feed $40 buys. And are you feeding any adult ducks? I'm going through about 50#/week, during our winter months, with about 30 birds. Last time I figured my winter time conversion it was .24. (50# / 30 birds / 7 days = .24#/bird/day)

I'm guessing you have a vermin or a food waste problem. I'd be removing the old layers and replacing them with chicks/pullets.

Back
Top Bottom