Cutting dried leaves for coop bedding

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Hello

My chicks are getting bigger and bigger that I'm scared that they might eat me. They are zombie chicks, after all.
wink.png
I am starting to cut the fallen dried leaves into small pieces and I'm making a bucket full of 'em to save money on wood shavings(My parents go mad when I mention the word "shavings"). Cutting them is VERY hard......not exactly hard, but tiring and slow! Is it really necessary to cut them into tiny pieces? The size I cut them down is a little close to a piece of wood shaving.....help....

Thanks in advance!

I dont think its necessary to cut them into tiny pieces, the chickens scratching around etc will break them down on there own.

Wondering just incase what the plants are you are saving leaves from, some trees and shrubs have toxic leaves branches etc.
I am not an expert on these though.

Last edited:
I would just rake them in a pile and cut them with a lawnmower. Then collect them to put in the coop. If you have no lawnmower just leave them whole it would really not be a huge deal.

I'm just getting started with chickens. I've read the posts about using leaves as bedding in the coop. My question is this. Do I need to put oak leaves through my chipper/ shredder since oak leaves are small anyway? I have tons of oak leaves in my yard and would like to hold down the cost of bedding.

Back
Top Bottom