CX and Pioneer side-by-side

I'm in week 6 with 12 Cornish X, 6 Pioneer and 6 Red Ranger. I wish I had kept such good records as you have!

I'm loving the growth comparisons, please keep them coming!
Sure thing!
wink.png

I'm starting week 4 with 9/10 Pioneers, mixed in with my hatched and some hatchery layers. Of interest is that 2 of my mixed birds RIR x EE are as big as the Pioneers, but ahead in the feathering department. My chicks are all getting free choice crumble and fermented crumble multi-flock.

Well, I skipped a week because our weather has been very wet and cold. My desire to stay dry and warm outweighed my desire to weigh the chicks last week.

This week, though, things continued to progress.

An average Cx at week 5.

An average Pioneer at week 5.

Pioneer and Cx side-by-side at week 5.

Cx, Pioneer, and Red Star side-by-side at week 5.

Empty crop weight distribution at week 5. Mean weight for the Cx is 62.8 oz (3.93 lbs.) and mean weight for the Pioneer is 23.1 oz (1.44 lbs). Myer hatchery reports that by week 5 the Cx should average 3.34 lbs, so we seem to be exceeding expectations. Birds are ranging each day that it is not raining. They have transitioned off of my starter mix and are on a grower/finisher. I'm expecting good growth this week (warmer weather with far less rain), so let's see!

What % protein is your grower finisher??

Do you feed dry crumbles/pellets??

VERY well done analysis!! Looking forward to more pics and data.

I raise afew last summer, and kept pullets for breeding to my hatchery bred roosters ( they were the bosy willing to get the job done) and have 3 chicks raised up together: 1 buckeye of breeder quality, 1 1/2 bred cornish x pullet and one rooster. It is remarkable that the 1/2 breds are far outgrowing the even the buckeye. ( I have another strain of buckeye, but none the same age for comparison).

What % protein is your grower finisher??

Do you feed dry crumbles/pellets??

VERY well done analysis!! Looking forward to more pics and data.

I raise afew last summer, and kept pullets for breeding to my hatchery bred roosters ( they were the bosy willing to get the job done) and have 3 chicks raised up together: 1 buckeye of breeder quality, 1 1/2 bred cornish x pullet and one rooster. It is remarkable that the 1/2 breds are far outgrowing the even the buckeye. ( I have another strain of buckeye, but none the same age for comparison).
The grower I am using is a fine grind mash from a local farm and feed producer (awesome stuff for $10.50 per 50 lbs. bag). It comes out at 18% protein. I put this in feed buckets on the far side of their fence and supplement this with a scratch mix throughout the yard to encourage foraging. They have been eating under the recommended feed amount and gaining weight faster than expected, so I am excited. they are also very active, laying down only for a few minutes after the morning feeding.

The grower I am using is a fine grind mash from a local farm and feed producer (awesome stuff for $10.50 per 50 lbs. bag). It comes out at 18% protein. I put this in feed buckets on the far side of their fence and supplement this with a scratch mix throughout the yard to encourage foraging. They have been eating under the recommended feed amount and gaining weight faster than expected, so I am excited. they are also very active, laying down only for a few minutes after the morning feeding.

Truly outstanding.!!!!! Impressed also to hear of hybred vigor and fast growing. Something to think about. I'm gonna have to do the CX this year. It is too impressive.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom