CX and Pioneer side-by-side

Very cool!
I started a thread today, reporting similar growth...in pictures, but no weight (which would've been a great idea!)
The thread is in the "Pictures" section :D

I'll be following your progress!!!

Week 7. Skipped another week because the growth was as expected. I plan to process all but the two smallest Cx next weekend.

All chicks outside the coop at week 7. On first glance, the Cx and Pioneer seem similarly sized. The Pioneer are actually a bit taller and about the same length. Once you pick them up, the difference is obvious. The two birds on the ramp are red sex links, which are half the size of the pioneer (by weight).

This is the big bird - 6.5 lbs (104 oz) at week 7. It was running everywhere today with no signs of distress at all. Ranging these birds is a fantastic way to do it since they get exercise, which keeps them healthy (along with restricted feed).

At just over 3 lbs (49 oz), this was a slightly larger than average Pioneer. The birds are all healthy - very active, nice comb and waddle color, clear eyes. Really cool coloration and variety as well.

Growth trajectory for week 7. Meyer Hatchery suggests an average weight of 5.4 lbs by week 7, but my Cx have a mean weight of 92 oz (5.75 lbs). This is with restricted feeding and more exercise than any tractor would give them. They appear to be very healthy and alert tanks! Every one of them climbs down the ramp in the morning and up the ramp at night (along with foraging in the pasture during the day). Mean weight of the Pioneer is 44 oz (2.75 lbs). Though it is recommended for them to be processed at 9 to 12 weeks, I think it will be closer to 12 weeks at their current growth rates. We'll see what the future brings!

Two more weeks, up to week 9 today.

At 7.5 weeks, all but one of my Cx took a spin on the Whizbang tilt-a-whirl and are now relaxing in freezer camp. Average dressed weight was just over 5 lbs (largest was 5.6 and smallest was 4.5 lbs dressed). They all dressed beautifully, but looked like "typical" Cx meaties.

So, weights from now on are mostly Pioneers. I couldn't get my usual pictures because they just wouldn't sit still long enough on the scale!

Here is a Pioneer pullet at 9 weeks. The typical pullet weight is somewhere between 3.5 and 4 lbs at this point.

Here is a Pioneer cockerel at 9 weeks. The typical cockerel weight is somewhere between 4 and 4.5 lbs.

The one Cx I kept was tiny - distinctly smaller than the others. Here is the last remaining Cx with two cockerel Pioneers. These two Pioneers weighed 4.3 and 4.6 lbs, while the Cx in the photo weighed 4.5 lbs.

The weights are interesting this week. There is a good separation between pullets and cockerels. Their physical size is similar, but their weights are different. The cockerels tend to have a wider back and thicker breasts. Up to this point, it was hard to tell the sexes apart, I am hoping that their frame is basically built and will now be adding muscle weight. As the graphed weights shows, the Pioneers at 9 weeks are essentially the same weight that the Cx were at 5 weeks.

My aim is still to process in three weeks, when they are 12 weeks old. We'll see how it goes!

Would you post pics of the carcasses? I'm curious to see the difference when you get each kind butchered.

Would you post pics of the carcasses? I'm curious to see the difference when you get each kind butchered.
Most certainly! I didn't take or post pictures of the Cx because I figured that most in the meat birds thread would be familiar with them. I will be sure to post the Pioneer carcass and the last remaining Cx side-by-side after they get processed.

Three weeks later and this morning was processing time for the remaining birds.

Here are the pioneers and the one remaining Cx at 12 weeks of age (which was still tiny).

The Pioneer pullets were distinctly smaller than the cockerels. I kept two of the Pioneer hens to add to my laying flock to see how they do.

The typical Pioneer Cockerel was just over 6 lbs at 12 weeks.

The last of the Cx at 12 weeks still had not progressed much past 6 lbs. This bird was incredibly active, though...

This is the finished Cx. The skin split was because I started to half the bird before I remembered to take pictures!

This is the finished Pioneer (same one as pictured above).

Side-by-side, the pioneer is on the left and the Cx on the right. Please remember that this Cx is about 2/3 the size of the Cx I processed previously. So, size can be deceiving between the two birds. However, their shapes were consistent. The Cx is shorter, with shorter legs. Much larger breasts and drumsticks.

This one also shows that they have drastically different shapes for approximately the same finished weight.

If I had to summarize this experience, I would definitely still go with a pastured Cx over a pastured Pioneer. They are faster growing and easier to process (fewer feathers). The Pioneers seem to be a fast-growing dual purpose bird rather than a slower-growing meat bird. Having said that, the Pioneer seem to be an excellent substitution for those looking for more flavor than the typical Cx and still be a bit more tender than DP cockerels at 18 or 20 weeks.

For those concerned about the "typical" way to grow Cx and the associated problems, consider pasturing the birds. I experienced no health problems, no real manure build-ups, and outstanding flavor and tenderness from these birds. I will try the Pioneers later this week and let you know about taste!

Quick update on taste...

The flavor of the Pioneer is superior to the flavor of the Cx, but the Cx have larger breasts and the thighs/drumsticks are considerably more tender. This is to be expected based on bird age, but I was surprised how much more tender the legs were. Breast tenderness was comparable, but the Pioneers were more "chickeny" and the Cx were at least double in thickness.

Back
Top Bottom