Daily corid usage in flock?

_dizzy_

Chirping
May 5, 2022
My mother has befriended a more experienced farmer and has been taking his word for just about everything. I've talked to him and heard of some of his ideas and I don't agree with everything personally, he seems to care a lot about his animals but some of his methods just seem.... Lack luster?? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for.
Anyway, he told my mom that he treats his flock and his livestock guardian dogs with corid daily 365 days a year and now she wants to use this method on my flock and her dogs(we live together on the same farm). From my understanding that's really bad on chickens and I read @speckledhen 's 10 commandments for good flock management and have taken note of commandment #9, don't unnecessarily treat the flock.
I did my personal research and have not found anything about treating every single day, just treating for a short period.
Can anyone tell me where he got this information to treat with corid every single day for the whole year?
He does it for his chickens, ducks, and LGD's.

My mother has befriended a more experienced farmer and has been taking his word for just about everything. I've talked to him and heard of some of his ideas and I don't agree with everything personally, he seems to care a lot about his animals but some of his methods just seem.... Lack luster?? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for.
Anyway, he told my mom that he treats his flock and his livestock guardian dogs with corid daily 365 days a year and now she wants to use this method on my flock and her dogs(we live together on the same farm). From my understanding that's really bad on chickens and I read @speckledhen 's 10 commandments for good flock management and have taken note of commandment #9, don't unnecessarily treat the flock.
I did my personal research and have not found anything about treating every single day, just treating for a short period.
Can anyone tell me where he got this information to treat with corid every single day for the whole year?
He does it for his chickens, ducks, and LGD's.
I doubt it harms the hens that much - but he is probably helping create amprolium-resistant coccidiae

He's not using it properly, should only be used for an outbreak and stopped. Just because someone is a farmer does not mean he knows what he's talking about. My grandfather and father were farmers and there were some old farmer's myths I heard from my dad and I knew better from my own research. The guy is wrong and spending unnecessarily on something that will end up doing harm in the end. Corid is a thiamine blocker, blocks B1. That should only be temporary. I don't even use medicated feed and use Corid only in case of a case of coccidiosis, which rarely happens here.

Corid is a drug so I prefer not to use it in my flock unless it is necessary. I agree with what @RoyalChick and @speckledhen hen said, using it like this would cause more harm than good.

There are lots of different opinions in chicken keeping. Some are poor habits, others some of the best, but many are in a gray area. There is no "one size fits all." I always tell people to do their research and use common sense to decide what is best for their flock and situation.

Corid is a drug so I prefer not to use it in my flock unless it is necessary. I agree with what @RoyalChick and @speckledhen hen said, using it like this would cause more harm than good.

There are lots of different opinions in chicken keeping. Some are poor habits, others some of the best, but many are in a gray area. There is no "one size fits all." I always tell people to do their research and use common sense to decide what is best for their flock and situation.
That’s like taking antibiotics daily… That’s a disaster coming the chickens amune system will be forever compromised and the birds will die. Bad Idea!!!

This is the mentality that created mass antibiotic resistance due to the use of antibiotic growth promoters all over the world in feed.

Back
Top Bottom