Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

My sister said that no one eats duck eggs. I kindly referred her to this forum. lol.
What is it with the "I don't eat duck eggs thing"? Where I live people will stop by to buy chicken eggs and when I mention that I also have duck eggs they give me a look like I offered them scrapings from the chicken coop floor. So, I end up donating them to a local food kitchen who is really happy to get them (I also give them the chicken eggs that I have not sold from the previous week). They use them to bake with and to make scrambled eggs for their breakfast servings. The people that use the kitchen seem to really like them.

I eat them and a couple of time a week scramble them and add them to my dogs food...they like them the most of anyone.

What is it with the "I don't eat duck eggs thing"? Where I live people will stop by to buy chicken eggs and when I mention that I also have duck eggs they give me a look like I offered them scrapings from the chicken coop floor. So, I end up donating them to a local food kitchen who is really happy to get them (I also give them the chicken eggs that I have not sold from the previous week). They use them to bake with and to make scrambled eggs for their breakfast servings. The people that use the kitchen seem to really like them.

I eat them and a couple of time a week scramble them and add them to my dogs food...they like them the most of anyone.
My dogs love duck eggs. same her jtn no one wants duck eggs. I think they think they are eating a duckling lol

My dogs love duck eggs. same her jtn no one wants duck eggs. I think they think they are eating a duckling lol 

Lol. I just got asked "But since you have two males, don't you only get eggs for hatching and not for eating?"

Idk. I think duck eggs are better than chicken eggs. DH thinks they are the same.

Lol. I just got asked "But since you have two males, don't you only get eggs for hatching and not for eating?"

Idk. I think duck eggs are better than chicken eggs. DH thinks they are the same.
Funny what people think my dh won't eat duck eggs unless they are baked in something, it's a mind thing with him I'm sure.

Oh ok, wait your duck is nesting in your bathroom? And I think I will close off the nest so I know that it is not a long time she is off the best. And in Wisconsin it is about 10-0 degrees how do I now if it is humid under her because I know it is really important for duck eggs to be humid to be able to hatch? Does she get her feathers wet and sit in the nest? Thanks for answering all of my questions knowing it is my First year breeding!! And one final question, when the ducklings hatch should I put the mother in the brooder with them or no if I want her to still produce more fertile eggs?

Oh ok, wait your duck is nesting in your bathroom? And I think I will close off the nest so I know that it is not a long time she is off the best. And in Wisconsin it is about 10-0 degrees how do I now if it is humid under her because I know it is really important for duck eggs to be humid to be able to hatch? Does she get her feathers wet and sit in the nest? Thanks for answering all of my questions knowing it is my First year breeding!! And one final question, when the ducklings hatch should I put the mother in the brooder with them or no if I want her to still produce more fertile eggs?
I have my Saxonies in my bathroom - I brought them inside to treat bumblefoot and the house lighting started the hen nesting early, She pulled the towels down off of the racks and made a nest, so I gave her a nest box full of hay and in a few days she had laid her first egg. I have geese nesting outside at the moment (it's currently 3 degrees out, with -10 forecast for tonight) my Toulouse goose is sitting on 3 eggs in the run in shed. There is a broody hen thread here, which I checked because it is so cold, and lots of people have birds down on eggs in similar weather.

The birds keep their eggs humid by wetting their feathers. In the warmer weather from swimming, but in the cold weather they just bathe in their water buckets. My goose uses the heated water bowls outside, and the duck indoors uses the cats' bowl instead of her water bowl.

What breed is your duck? Some are more likely than others to double clutch. When one group of ducklings gets big enough, they will settle down and brood out another batch if it is early enough in the year. I'm hoping to double clutch my Saxonies since they started the season so early. Their ducklings will be independent with plenty of time for them to produce a second batch. Muscovies are known for double clutching and often have two broods a year.

I have Rouen ducks, and I'm not sure they are getting water on their feathers.... I am worried that it isn't humid enough!! The females are like fighting over the nest to lay on the eggs. Send me a picture of your duck in the bathroom!!! And when do they hatch?

On what day do you think I should candle eggs for the first time? And when they hatch, should I close off the nest with only the mother? Because I am worried the male might kill them or eat them.

Back
Top Bottom